Super Mario World MSU+

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 5 Empty Super Mario World MSU+

Description:
This patch is in contrast to Conn's hack compatible to most patches offered at SMW Central. Furthermore, Luigi has a different speech and the overworld has different themes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Patch:
Download

Unofficial:
Download (SA-1 Restored)

PCM Sets:
PCM set by Colines/Kiddo
YouTube Preview

JUD6MENT SMW+ Orchestral PCM Set v.2 (updated June 6th, 2022)
Mirror Link Download
YouTube Preview

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Super Mario World Odyssey Version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

3D-World version by snes-forever.blogspot.com

Turning Off Custom SFX / OW Music:

If there is a wish to disable either Mario/Luigi speech or the OW Music feature, please refer to the ASM file for such. Do note that for changes to take effect, you need to assemble the file right into the ROM image with Alcaro's Asar:
Code:
!LuigiSFX = !True ; !True = Activate alternative SFX songs for Player 2, !False = No alternative SFX songs for both players
!OWMusic = !True ; !True = Activate OW Music patch by smkdan, !False = Deactivate multiple songs on Overworld

IMPORTANT SIDENOTE: There is 3 different MSU-1 patches for Super Mario World that each accomplish slightly different thing. Each set has PCM sets that are designed for that specific patch. Do not mix PCM sets with the wrong patch. For quick links to the other SMW MSU-1 patch pages, follow links below:
SMW Original MSU-1 https://www.zeldix.net/t1436-super-mario-world#21209
SMW MSU-1 Plus Ultra https://www.zeldix.net/t2535-super-mario-world-msu-1-plus-ultra-130-tracks-total

Last edited by Colines on Fri 12 Mar 2021 - 15:49; edited 5 times in total
Colines
Colines

Super Mario World MSU+ - Page 5 Image111

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Super Mario World MSU+ :: Comments

JUD6MENT

Post Mon 26 Sep 2022 - 22:34 by JUD6MENT

Eligames2009 wrote:Hello, For some reason the alternate overworld themes for mario and Luigi are not working. i can't hear a difference. i am using the files by Colines/Kid Crying or Very sad do.

my best guess is you are using a different patch. Mario World Original msu1, Mario World Plus msu1, and Mario World Plus Ultra msu1 are all three different patches that do slightly different things.

If Luigi is saying Mario's voice lines too, then you definitely have the right pcm set but wrong patched rom.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 9 Dec 2022 - 23:44 by zd4534

Do any of the patches support separate PCM files for with/without Yoshi?

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Sat 10 Dec 2022 - 0:32 by JUD6MENT

zd4534 wrote:Do any of the patches support separate PCM files for with/without Yoshi?

No, we do not have that as at this time. That could be plausible but it would be insanely complex. Cubear and i looked into the idea once but dont desire to do it at this time as it would be very time consuming on both our parts. You have to do some major coding and create pcm tracks that keep the beat 100% even after looping a few times. It is plausible, but it will be really challenging. We might do this project, but we also might not. If we did, it would probably be during the summer as i would not attempt this at all until i have more time from being on summer break. Even then, not sure if it is worth the trouble it would be to do it. We will see.

Back to top Go down

Colines

Post Sat 10 Dec 2022 - 21:12 by Colines

Also, as far as MSU-1 is concerned, The Yoshi drum beats effect turning on and off just wouldn't work at all, as it wouldn't be possible to realistically keep both PCM tracks with drums on and off synced whenever the player rides/leaves Yoshi.

The simplest solution (but also time consuming) is hacking the APU and isolate the Yoshi drum channels from song tracks to have them working alongside MSU-1.

That would be very useful for echo effects too, as the way the patch is coded now, it turns off the SPC engine entirely, preventing the effect to be activated. So cave levels do not feature echo effects. For this one, I've actually got to implement this code snipet by Mattrizzle to make echo effects functional again. But this has the side effect of breaking SPC fallback completely, so this haven't made into the official release.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 11 Dec 2022 - 6:04 by Conn

The best thing was if we had more MSU sound channels to also be able to substitute SFX. But I think this is technically impossible, at least for real hardware like sd2snes, since the MSU stream is restricted.

Isolating the drums in the APU is probably the best way to achieve this, as Collines suggests, but this wouldn't be synced with the msu stream... Ah well, it's a nice to have, but quite little so probably more trouble than the effort is worth.

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Sun 11 Dec 2022 - 14:32 by Cubear

Colines wrote:
The simplest solution (but also time consuming) is hacking the APU and isolate the Yoshi drum channels from song tracks to have them working alongside MSU-1.

I've done a little bit of looking into this, actually. It's completely possible but you'd still need to concern yourself with matching the tempo of the song to the original exactly..

Here's an example video I recorded some months ago of this solution (without MSU1 running)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOIjfIMEnU

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Sun 11 Dec 2022 - 15:17 by JUD6MENT

Cubear wrote:
Colines wrote:

I've done a little bit of looking into this, actually. It's completely possible but you'd still need to concern yourself with matching the tempo of the song to the original exactly..

Here's an example video I recorded some months ago of this solution (without MSU1 running)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOIjfIMEnU

The songs pause when you pause and the level timers are only 2 and a half minutes. It would take a ton of trial and error but i could match up tempos for 2 and a half minutes. Like i said earlier, if Cubear and I ever decided that it is a thing we want to do i think we can do it. But it would take a lot of time on both our parts and i can not invest that time at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sun 11 Dec 2022 - 17:56 by Conn

That appears absolutely awesome, cubear. Do you understand the AUP ASM btw? I never really wanted to deal with it and mostly I was try and error on my side to mute it, I admit.

Could you play your patch with msu to give me an idea how it is desynced and what needs to be achieved here?

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Sun 11 Dec 2022 - 20:37 by Cubear

I just NOP'd out the control codes on the SPC700, but I have learned some of how it works... mostly through trial and error.

This will result in a hard mute patch, but I could convert my notes into a patch if people would like to test.

The issue is that SPC channel 5 (the bongo channel) does have some bleed over to other instruments in specific songs... so those songs may still need to be detected and not played via SPC

Last edited by Cubear on Tue 20 Dec 2022 - 22:27; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Tue 20 Dec 2022 - 18:29 by Cubear

i applied my notes and created a patch from it for testing purposes.  
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/6GYBlYJJ#avR2rLwOlIA_oYyXtcIF0jB53hDVTqQkjw7ODNVkEhk

Tracks that I already see that need filtering to do the old mute to prevent audio errors: victory, castle, boss battle, title screen.. though really anything that isn't a level theme proper should be done with the old mute still

ASM file is for Conn's patch as its simpler to work with, but the section is pretty clearly demarcated in case anybody wanted to test it in the msu+ patch from this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:13 by grandosegood

hey all,

thanks again for all your great work. can someone explain how the SA-1 patch would be helpful for the regular/vanilla gaming experience? I used a custom ASM file with vocal SFX off and overworld music mod off so that I could enjoy the QoL fixes with a higher quality OST, but am wondering if I need SA-1. also used AQUA MIDI pcm pack, just redid the numbering so it would match the MSU-1+ track list

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 15:52 by Conn

Vanilla Super Mario World has massive slowdowns when too many enemies on screen, it has nothing to do with vocals/msu or whatever. Just to make it faster.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 18:03 by grandosegood

thanks for your reply. one other thing i was trying to fix was having the "time running out / hurry!" sound effect along with a sped up version of the song. the solution i came up with is to have songs that are 300 seconds long that incorporate the "hurry!" sound effect and then speed up after that. however, there are some variations in the levels that have 400 seconds or 200 seconds for time limit. is there anyway to have the song play on specific levels, instead of just a song for all levels in the world? thanks.

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 18:05 by JUD6MENT

grandosegood wrote:thanks for your reply. one other thing i was trying to fix was having the "time running out / hurry!" sound effect along with a sped up version of the song. the solution i came up with is to have songs that are 300 seconds long that incorporate the "hurry!" sound effect and then speed up after that. however, there are some variations in the levels that have 400 seconds or 200 seconds for time limit. is there anyway to have the song play on specific levels, instead of just a song for all levels in the world? thanks.

Yes! You are in luck, that is what our Mario World MSU-1 Plus Ultra patch does, give every single level it's own theme. Cubear and i made that about 2 years ago.

https://www.zeldix.net/t2535-super-mario-world-msu-1-plus-ultra-130-tracks-total

Also, your idea is actually pretty smart. I was considering revisiting that sound track and maybe i will try that too (maybe, it would make the download size be even more massive).

Back to top Go down

Cubear

Post Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 12:12 by Cubear

i could do a custom version quite easily that separates level songs by length of level timer. no need to have a unique track for every single level if it's all the same song Smile

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 16:03 by grandosegood

Cubear wrote:i could do a custom version quite easily that separates level songs by length of level timer. no need to have a unique track for every single level if it's all the same song Smile

according to the wiki, there are only a handful of levels that have different level timers, so having custom songs for just those levels would be ideal, then you could just the same "world" song in the rest of the levels in a given world

the wiki states:

In Super Mario World, one count of time is exactly 41 frames in the NTSC version and 35 frames in the PAL version. Most levels have a time limit of 300 seconds. Some levels, such as most Ghost Houses (except for the Choco-Ghost House and Valley Ghost House *which have 300 seconds*), Yoshi's Island 2, Donut Plains 1, Donut Plains 2, and #2 Morton's Castle, have 400 seconds. Switch Palaces, the Top Secret Area (in the GBA version only), and Funky have only 200 seconds, though it is possible to increase Funky's time limit by having Yoshi eat a Green Berry. Due to the timer's absence during the final battle, there is no time bonus for defeating Bowser.

The time limit of #3 Lemmy's Castle differs by region. It is 300 seconds in the Japanese version and 400 seconds in international versions.

edit: i added AQUA MIDI songs to the ultra plus pack, see the link
https://www.zeldix.net/t2535-super-mario-world-msu-1-plus-ultra-130-tracks-total#45027

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5