A Link to the Past: Retold

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 4 Empty A Link to the Past: Retold

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 4 Alttp-Retold

Patch Download v.1.40
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/gvJ0FaCY#H1Pc1fNYNAz9X7uqdcp3s8R45I5ipLumH4BPAV4Fngg

The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a few years late to the party. But here we go.

This is the result of 2 years of fiddling, tweaking, learning ASM and HEX, all to pull this off. I hope you enjoy.

This hack edits nearly every room(Visual edits mostly, layout stays the same), most dialogue, and many, many gameplay aspects of ALTTP.

Major changes:
-Any Dungeon, any order. You still need to get the three pendants first, but the order of the pendants, then later of the crystals, is 100% up to you.
-Items are no longer inside their respective dungeons. You will now have to explore, talk to NPCs, and venture off the beaten path to find items. (Think about how you find the Icerod)
-The combat difficulty has been increased. Significantly.
-Several shortcuts have been added to the overworld. (Like in A Link Between Worlds)
-Dialogue has been re-written while keeping the same overall messages in tack.
-Almost every single room has been visually redesigned with added detail.(Layouts are mostly the same) Just look at Link's house or Hyrule castle and you'll know what I mean.
-New sprites have been added while keeping to the original style. Nothing should stand out too much.
-Magic now regens, but it’s incredibly slow. This cuts down on frustration, but doesn’t make magical items fully OP.
-Pits no longer hurt you. This hack is intended to be played on mobile. Bad touch-screen controls should not be the reason you get a game over.

Also contains:
- Make Silver Arrows Double Fast By Conn
- The Legend of Zelda - DX By Puzzledude
- 24 Item Menu By Conn and Euclid
- Original sprites by Euclid, heavily modified by Kyim
- Original ALTTP bug fixes By MathOnNapkins and Conn
- Random and Special Treasure Dig Up By Conn
- Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots By Conn/AST Team ^_^

Detailed Description:

Last edited by Kyim on Sun 14 May 2023 - 17:02; edited 36 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed download link :-))
Kyim
Kyim

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 4 Image213

Since : 2019-05-08

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A Link to the Past: Retold :: Comments

Post Sat 25 May 2019 - 8:03 by edale

OK, following up on that weird name change glitch... continuing the game from the savestate has characters continuing to call me "CCC66C", but a save & quit, followed by loading the save fixes it.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 25 May 2019 - 8:34 by Moldorm

Puzzledude wrote:
Moldorm wrote:Is nobody going to answer my comment? It's not working. Game is black screen, doesn't load. I patched correctly. Help?
I guess you missed my answer.
Just patch my 1.40 ips (.ips file) with LunarIPS to ALTTP US non headered rom with file CRC-32= 777AAC2F (.smc file) and it will work.

Puzzledude wrote:
Moldorm wrote:This does not work for me. I patched it to an original clean LTTP rom and it just doesn't load.
You probably patched to the headered rom (if it doesn't load at all), and you should patch to non-headered rom (ie the one with 1024KB instead of 1025KB). Must also be US and not for instance EU, JP etc.

Thank you! All I needed was the 1.40 patch and to download a US rom (I used an EU before). Can't wait to play this!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 25 May 2019 - 15:32 by Puzzledude

edale wrote:OK, following up on that weird name change glitch... continuing the game from the savestate has characters continuing to call me "CCC66C", but a save & quit, followed by loading the save fixes it.
That's because for some reason all monologues go to RAM when the game is loaded. So you must not use save states after monologues were edited.

I used an EU before
Sob

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 26 May 2019 - 22:35 by Kyim

edale wrote:Well... there's making things more challenging, and there's it taking me an hour to get to Zelda in the castle's dungeon, following a path I know inside and out and can clear in like 5 min without taking any damage... because I keep dying.

Seriously 6-8 hits (seems random just how many hits it takes) to kill a green guard?! The blue guards killing you in one hit?!

It feels like I'm playing a Mario Maker super-expert troll level... A version with a slightly reduced difficulty, at least for the starting area before you can actually do anything to build yourself up, would be nice.

Hi, Edale! So, thanks for all the help in this threat and the feedback! Few things:
-You shouldn't be relying on your sword for every encounter. Zelda is all about the items. For example, you get a boomerang that can stun enemies very early, and there are pots to take out foes at a distance until you get the bow (right after the tutorial), which can 3-shot those guards you mentioned at a distance. The bow can also be upgraded to carry 99 arrows, so 3-shots isn't much. Think like an adventurer and you'll get through anything! Smile
- Most enemies are never placed directly in your path. With a little effort, you can get through any area without taking any hits.
-Having enemy damage scale after certain story points isn't doable, so far as I know.

You got this!

Last edited by Kyim on Sun 26 May 2019 - 22:50; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 26 May 2019 - 22:39 by Kyim

slartifer wrote:So I've played through the bulk of the light world save Agahnim, and while I do like this hack, I think that it's misleading when the description says "Almost every single room has been redesigned with added detail".  It mentions "every room" having been changed in two different places, actually -- makes it seem like the biggest piece of the hack.

But at least so far, the vast, VAST majority of rooms have been identical to the original, but with one or two extra decorative items like cracks.  I can only think of one with an actual gameplay-relevant edit (the Armos boss room).  That's really it.  "Adding generic decorative elements" is not the same thing as "redesigning."

This is a good hack.  I like this hack.  I just think it's better to start playing with appropriate expectations.

Can you post some side-by-sided of all the rooms that are still identical to the original? May be a glitch. There are over 295 rooms. I edited about 270 of them.

Even still, I changed the description to mention that they are visual edits, not loyout edits.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 26 May 2019 - 22:41 by Kyim

edale wrote:
slartifer wrote:So I've played through the bulk -
Not all mods have to be gameplay-relevant.

Adale! <3 Smile

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 26 May 2019 - 22:48 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:Ok, transfered the correct houses and caves (rooms 256, 257, 258, 259, 291, 294) from 1.35 to 1.40. And thus reverted entrances 6C,71,72 back to normal.

Retold 1.40
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5366

Thank you so much for this! I've been doing a bit of work since before this patch went up, should I start with your version here and try to re-implement my recent changes in 1.41? Sort of use yours as save base to work off?

I'm not having no menu issues or room glitches on my version 1.41 right now, but I have a feeling it could pop up again on other people's clients.

Also, HM keeps taking the "Hidden Items" from one room and copying them into others? Same with NPCs from one room to another. Is there a fix for this?

I'm also getting "Not enough space for Room Header" messages, but I have no idea what that means. Do I need more room on the ROM?

Sorry, I now this is a lot.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sun 26 May 2019 - 22:56 by Kyim

Hi all! Sorry I've been away for a few days!

1.41 is up, but it is based on a version from before Puzzledude's/Conn's fixes. Conn's fix (which his amazing) also brought with it some graphically glitched rooms. Puzzledude seems to have fixed these, but those changes have yet to be integrated into the main release until I understand exactly whats going on, haha.

-Some enemy HP and damage has been lowered, but you'll still want to avoid getting hit. No Face-Tanking here!
-1.41 MAY have the menu glitch, but it is only a graphical issue.
-The glitched rooms seem to be mended on my end.
-There were some changes to Link's palette colors so the sprites may look strange on old save games/states. Starting a new game fixes this. Reloading may also fix it, but limited testing has been done on this.

Let me know if anything else pops up!

Also:
More functional signs!
A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 4 Signs10

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 27 May 2019 - 5:58 by Puzzledude

Thank you so much for this! I've been doing a bit of work since before this patch went up, should I start with your version here and try to re-implement my recent changes in 1.41? Sort of use yours as save base to work off?

I'm not having no menu issues or room glitches on my version 1.41 right now, but I have a feeling it could pop up again on other people's clients.

Also, HM keeps taking the "Hidden Items" from one room and copying them into others? Same with NPCs from one room to another. Is there a fix for this?

I'm also getting "Not enough space for Room Header" messages, but I have no idea what that means. Do I need more room on the ROM?

Sorry, I now this is a lot.
Your versions 1.41 and 1.42 have all the rooms above 255 ok, but the menu is broken again (more than before). To see the actual code for menu, you need to use snes9x, since ZSNES might still emulate it correctly for some reason despite the wrong code (the same is valid if the rom would not have exactly 2MB).

Both versions also have "Not enough space for header" and some items and sprites "misplaced", which is basically irreversible bug, but might not affect the gameplay.

In my 1.40 the menus are ok, but the houses were bugged. Believe it or not this is in fact connected (since the hex code overlaps). So I fixed the header issue via hex and also the 6 bugged rooms above 255 (also via hex), so this can not break anymore in 1.40, while having the menu code ok.

I will leave you your project now and you decide how to handle things further. (I would say take my 1.40 and build your updates into this rom).

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Mon 27 May 2019 - 9:28 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:
Your versions 1.41 and 1.42 have all the rooms above 255 ok, but the menu is broken again (more than before). To see the actual code for menu, you need to use snes9x, since ZSNES might still emulate it correctly for some reason despite the wrong code (the same is valid if the rom would not have exactly 2MB).

Both versions also have "Not enough space for header" and some items and sprites "misplaced", which is basically irreversible bug, but might not affect the gameplay.

In my 1.40 the menus are ok, but the houses were bugged. Believe it or not this is in fact connected (since the hex code overlaps). So I fixed the header issue via hex and also the 6 bugged rooms above 255 (also via hex), so this can not break anymore in 1.40, while having the menu code ok.

I will leave you your project now and you decide how to handle things further. (I would say take my 1.40 and build your updates into this rom).

Thanks again, Puzzledude! You're a saint! I applied my more recent changes to the 1.40 version you put out and uploaded it. Hopefully all should be well now.

Barring any more patch work, this should be the final version.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Mon 27 May 2019 - 9:53 by Conn

@Kyim: i can't find your new patch. To avoid confusing, please edit the first post yourself and update the link I edited there with 1.40 (best you call your new patch 1.41 then)

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Mon 27 May 2019 - 10:42 by Kyim

Conn wrote:@Kyim: i can't find your new patch. To avoid confusing, please edit the first post yourself and update the link I edited there with 1.40 (best you call your new patch 1.41 then)

Thanks, Conn! Smile
Post should be updated. I had to redo a few previous version to integrate PD's fix. So its 1.43 now, but that should be it for a while.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 27 May 2019 - 11:15 by Puzzledude

Yeah, nice. But 1.43 is again with the bugged menu. Could be caused by whatever you are updating. So far only 1.40 has working menu screens and non-glitched rooms above 255.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Wed 29 May 2019 - 21:31 by Kyim

Puzzledude wrote:Yeah, nice. But 1.43 is again with the bugged menu. Could be caused by whatever you are updating. So far only 1.40 has working menu screens and non-glitched rooms above 255.

Dammit. Looks like 1.40 will just have to be the final version.

Is there a block of non-corrupted code I can just copy and past from 1.40 into future version as a final step before I upload them? I don't want to have to bug others to do it each time, you know?

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 30 May 2019 - 14:08 by edale

In the swamp palace, it looks like you got rid of the traveling to the light world to get the water flowing puzzle (now there's just an extra stairway, bypassing the puzzle); but the hint stone at the start of the dungeon still talks about changes in objects in one dimension affecting both dimensions (the clue to get the water flowing via the light world).

*Edit- Also, you don't need the big key to get to and beat the boss in Swamp Palace, but you do need the Hookshot to beat the dungeon still.

I'd recommend you put a hint to the Hookshot's location and/or a warning that the Hookshot is needed on that hint stone.

Back to top Go down

Kyim

Post Sat 1 Jun 2019 - 16:51 by Kyim

edale wrote:

*Edit- Also, you don't need the big key to get to and beat the boss in Swamp Palace, but you do need the Hookshot to beat the dungeon still.

I'd recommend you put a hint to the Hookshot's location and/or a warning that the Hookshot is needed on that hint stone.

Oh solid idea! I'll do just that! As for the big key, you need it for the big chest.

Back to top Go down

JUD6MENT

Post Mon 3 Jun 2019 - 3:29 by JUD6MENT

Is there a youtube preview of this game?

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 3 Jun 2019 - 8:14 by M1CR0H4CK3R

I can't find the Titan's Mitt, and I believe I need the Cane of Somaria for a dark room after the 2nd Big Key door in Misery Mire. Any hints?

edit: Also, the bomb shop doesn't have the Super Bomb until I beat Misery Mire, so if I need to give the Power Glove to the fairy in the pyramid to get the Titan's Mitt, then I'm at a loss.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 3 Jun 2019 - 9:59 by Puzzledude

M1CR0H4CK3R wrote:I can't find the Titan's Mitt, and I believe I need the Cane of Somaria for a dark room after the 2nd Big Key door in Misery Mire. Any hints?

edit: Also, the bomb shop doesn't have the Super Bomb until I beat Misery Mire, so if I need to give the Power Glove to the fairy in the pyramid to get the Titan's Mitt, then I'm at a loss.
I checked this via HM and hex to locate it. The Titan's Mitt (gold Power glove) is in the cave, in room 293. And in area 77, which is dark world, in the far south east. Basically where the ice cave with Ice rod is in the original game in the light world. But here you need to be in the dark world.

There you have 3 caves: left, right and under a big rock. You need to enter the one under a big rock, ie etrance 70, which leads to room 293-right section, which is 0125 in hex= 25 01. So in hex the combo is 25 01 1C (this is in the E96E area of chest definitions), since 1C is 28= titan's mitt in HM. Also middle byte is 01 and not 81, so thus the chest is small.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Mon 3 Jun 2019 - 10:10 by Puzzledude

Similar strategy for finding the Cane of Somaria. This time the hex code points to room 292 (right section), ie entrance 6E, which is in area 13. So this is the light world Church area, but the entrance is blocked with the big black stone which requires Titan's Mitt in the first place. So once you have the Mitts from the dark world, you need to go back to the light world and get the Cane.

Back to top Go down

Erockbrox

Post Tue 4 Jun 2019 - 3:13 by Erockbrox

Why am I just discovering this today. I may do a lets play if the rom is stable enough. But it looks like some bugs may still need to be worked out.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 4 Jun 2019 - 3:38 by Conn

1.40 should be bug free. There are only some things to tinker on a bit, but this would mean again hm related bugs (guess puzz and my fix will be overwritten again by hm once you save).
If kyim decides a 1.41 is necessary he should do all the necessary fixes and then come back at puzz and me to fix the stuff prior to release. But all necessary fixes should be done in one go, because we both surely don't like to fix it piecewise everytime a small monologue fix is done or whatever.

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Wed 5 Jun 2019 - 14:40 by sinistra

Erockbrox wrote:Why am I just discovering this today. I may do a lets play if the rom is stable enough. But it looks like some bugs may still need to be worked out.

Well, in short it's playable, i managed to end-game the 1.35 version, with the messed up start menu, so the bugs are non game breakers i.m.h.o , you just have to look past them Ohmygod

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 5 Jun 2019 - 15:51 by edale

I can't find the red armor, and it's location change is not listed in the readme...

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Thu 6 Jun 2019 - 0:43 by sinistra

edale wrote:I can't find the red armor, and it's location change is not listed in the readme...

It's there, i found it, so you have to search.

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 4 Retold12

Yes [/quote]

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next