MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD - Page 3 Empty Re: MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD

Post by pev Sat 21 Sep 2019 - 15:54

fullgamezone wrote:What is the forum of mega sd that people are creating the patches?
@fullgamezone Doing a simple google search for "md+ roms", will get you started. So, far this lead me to this --> LINK.

Also, Joe (yes, that "Joe" from Game Sack) on this same forum post put a link for Ys3 MD+ (with NeoDev's assistance). The link is --> HERE (just the patch and WAV files, no ROM is in this package). Joe did say it was buggy and released it as is. Just remember, you need a TerraOnion MegaSD to take advantage of this.

I for one, am not putting too much time on this until a better debugger is released. I tried using the Exodus debugger (though, much better than other offerings, IMO), it still has that ancient "Snes9x-Geiger" feel including intermittent crashes.

Only reason, I believe Kurrono and myself pulled out more Snes MSU-1 patches at a quicker pace, was due to bSnesDebugger's ease of use, stability, and quick learning curve. Geiger was ok, it was just cumbersome to use and more prone to crashing on my rig.

If a debugger comes out similar to how bSnes operates, that would speed things along. But, then, for me, that is just wishful thinking. I will still continue to experiment but expect nothing from me until a better debugger surfaces that meets my "slow ass" learning curve needs, lol.

Update: I am still mind boggled why this "MD+" feature is such a big deal when this type of setup was possible by doing it PierSolar+SegaCD style. In some strange way, I prefer this method as you can just run the music in Sega's PCM format (allowing more seamless MSU1-like looping). But, I digress, and do take into account that not everyone can obtain a good condition (and working) Sega-CD unit now a days. Oh, and that steep $300+ price tag for a MegaSD for US users. Ouch.

pev

MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD - Page 3 Empty Re: MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD

Post by Polargames Sat 21 Sep 2019 - 19:56

@Pepv, I think why the MD+ is popular is the fact a lot of people like different type's if games. Like the one you said before and I did google it, It looks really cool to play, but I am not big into RPG's. I also like the all in one factor that the MD does. I do not have a Sega clone system at all, but given all of the games that were not edited like what the snes games where back in the day, could be another reason. IMHO I hope that Sega emulators do get more work on because its something that will help preserve the MD history and spark creativeness for the games.
Polargames
Polargames

MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD - Page 3 Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 21 Sep 2019 - 23:05

Polargames wrote:...I think why the MD+ is popular is the fact a lot of people like different type's if games...
Hmm, MD+ feature just came out as a touted feature of the MegaSD. Not enough time has passed to call it popular just yet. I think this feature is more like icing on the cake to make it easier to add RedBook-like (as WAV files) audio to any game. This feature is much appreciated compared to the other methods that always existed and not well documented (unlike the SegaCD Mode 1 type1&2, which allow a cart to access CD capabilities). Given, you have a SegaCD attached to your console. Something, which I agree with you, works well on MegaSD's behalf. How did you put it, ah, all-in-one package. Very valid point. Wink

Polargames wrote:...but given all of the games that were not edited like what the snes games where back in the day, could be another reason...
Oh, many great Genesis games were hacked in much the same way as SNES or any other platform (not just to add CD audio). Just visit the www.sega-16.com forums and you will see many examples. For me, I just never had the time to look any where else outside of SNES hacking. To me, Zeldix was my first exposure to hacking retro-console games. And heck, only I can do is just basic audio stuff. Seph, Conn, and the rest of the team here are the bad asses with their excellent assembly skills beyond just audio. I tip my hat to them.

Polargames wrote:...IMHO I hope that Sega emulators do get more work on because its something that will help preserve the MD history and spark creativeness for the games.
Emulation on Genesis+SegaCD is doing well just like its SNES counterpart. And now with Blast'Em's introduction for accurate emulation (much like Higan) is very much appreciated by many. I do heartily agree with you on preservation of these old games. And I will take any debug or sdk tool that can make it easier to develop for these tried and true systems.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Sun 22 Sep 2019 - 1:29

pepillopev wrote:
Polargames wrote:...I think why the MD+ is popular is the fact a lot of people like different type's if games...
Hmm, MD+ feature just came out as a touted feature of the MegaSD. Not enough time has passed to call it popular just yet. I think this feature is more like icing on the cake to make it easier to add RedBook-like (as WAV files) audio to any game. This feature is much appreciated compared to the other methods that always existed and not well documented (unlike the SegaCD Mode 1 type1&2, which allow a cart to access CD capabilities). Given, you have a SegaCD attached to your console. Something, which I agree with you, works well on MegaSD's behalf. How did you put it, ah, all-in-one package. Very valid point. Wink

Polargames wrote:...but given all of the games that were not edited like what the snes games where back in the day, could be another reason...
Oh, many great Genesis games were hacked in much the same way as SNES or any other platform (not just to add CD audio). Just visit the www.sega-16.com forums and you will see many examples. For me, I just never had the time to look any where else outside of SNES hacking. To me, Zeldix was my first exposure to hacking retro-console games. And heck, only I can do is just basic audio stuff. Seph, Conn, and the rest of the team here are the bad asses with their excellent assembly skills beyond just audio. I tip my hat to them.

Polargames wrote:...IMHO I hope that Sega emulators do get more work on because its something that will help preserve the MD history and spark creativeness for the games.
Emulation on Genesis+SegaCD is doing well just like its SNES counterpart. And now with Blast'Em's introduction for accurate emulation (much like Higan) is very much appreciated by many. I do heartily agree with you on preservation of these old games. And I will take any debug or sdk tool that can make it easier to develop for these tried and true systems.

Pepv wrote:
Oh, many great Genesis games were hacked in much the same way as SNES or any other platform (not just to add CD audio). Just visit the www.sega-16.com forums and you will see many examples.

True,very true. I did forget about that, So thank you for reminding me and also for the link to sega-16, I will take a look at it.Very Happy  What I was thinking about was the fact that Sega did not force the games to be edited. Where Nintendo did. The games that came to my mind where MK and KI. I had been told the blood was not taken out of the game, or that you could turn it off in the settings.

For me it really does not matter, but for some people they want the game as 100% as they can get it, which would make MD's games more popular. I thought of the old saying Genesis does what Nintendon't. On the hacking, I agree that Zeldix was what introduce me into rom hacking as well, also because I wanted to make a gift for my friend and because I used a lot of the hacks here, and whated to give back to said site and users. I before that never really got into rom hacking,so when it came to playing old games, I just played what was made so to speak. lol  

Pepv wrote:
And heck, only I can do is just basic audio stuff. Seph, Conn, and the rest of the team here are the bad asses with their excellent assembly skills beyond just audio. I tip my hat to them.

Well, To be 100% honest in my eyes your are in the ranks that Seph,Conn,etc are in. What you have been able to do is really awesome and what games you have worked on is sweet. Point #2 When you gave me a crash course on Knights and being able to watch you was nothing shot of amazing, I honestly thought I was watching a very famous painter making yet another masterpiece for the public to see. It really open my eyes so to speak on how MSU1 works. So I would like to say thank you on that. Smile

Pepv wrote:

I did not know there was a new Emulator in the works like higan. I am happy to hear such news. To be honest, A person does not really get to hear to much or not at all about emulation for sega, like Nintendo systems do. Heck I had looked at the list of emulators for Sega and Compared it to Nintendo and man, I could see a huge difference. Its sad really because if it were not for the in house issues, Sega was doing really well.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 22 Sep 2019 - 19:12

Mode 1 works with the MegaSD via a simple hex edit so the cart recognises it. I found a Moonwalker patch from a year ago and added the audio and it works. I'm not sure how it performs in an emulator as I didn't check, and I don't know if it's a limitation or a compatibility issue with Mode 1 games and the MegaSD, but some of the mutes seemed a bit iffy.

@Pev Would it be easier for someone like yourself who is waiting for a proper debugger, to just create Mode 1 patches with whatever emulators that are available currently?
Relikk
Relikk

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sun 22 Sep 2019 - 19:32

Relikk wrote:...I'm not sure how it performs in an emulator as I didn't check...
I hope your testing yields promising results. This would be nice for everyone to enjoy CD audio (emu, original hardware, and MegaSD owners alike).
Relikk wrote:…but some of the mutes seemed a bit iffy.
I noticed this with the Streets of Rage 2 MD+ patch as well. I guess, it just needs more people in the pot to improve the coding (at least for MD+). Mode Type1&2, is not well documented. Thanks to Chilly Willy, at least, his ASM sheds some light on this.
Relikk wrote:...Would it be easier for someone like yourself who is waiting for a proper debugger, to just create Mode 1 patches with whatever emulators that are available currently?
I am still studying Chilly Willy's ASM (from Sega16 forums) at the moment. This is all new to me, so it will take me some time to figure it all out. If I get stuck on this Mode1 quest, I may have to contact someone at Sega16, should any questions arise on my end.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 13 Oct 2019 - 4:40

Just wanted to update this with links for everything that has been released so far.

OutRun patch (neodev) and arcade OST (Relikk): LINK

Streets of Rage 2 patch (infinest): LINK
Streets of Rage 2 Remake OST (Relikk): LINK

Strider patch (neodev) and arcade OST (Relikk): LINK
Strider arranged OST (Game Sack): LINK

Y's III patch (neodev, Game Sack) and arranged OST (Game Sack): LINK
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowrun Mon 14 Oct 2019 - 5:28

thank you !
Very Happy
Shadowrun
Shadowrun
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2018-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Mmmonster Mon 14 Oct 2019 - 17:51

Escape 2042 also runs perfectly with dreamcast music

Mmmonster
Newcomer

Since : 2019-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 15 Oct 2019 - 0:00

Relikk wrote:Just wanted to update this with links for everything that has been released so far.

OutRun patch (neodev) and arcade OST (Relikk): LINK

Streets of Rage 2 patch (infinest): LINK
Streets of Rage 2 Remake OST (Relikk): LINK

Strider patch (neodev) and arcade OST (Relikk): LINK
Strider arranged OST (Game Sack): LINK

Y's III patch (neodev, Game Sack) and arranged OST (Game Sack): LINK

Awesome Very Happy, So what do you think now about the music for these games. Have they been easier to make than pcms,or about the same? Just wondering. Also have you found any news on a emulator that would support this? I have not found any at all, including libretro versions.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Wed 16 Oct 2019 - 14:41

It's pretty much exactly the same, without having to convert the WAV files to PCM. The loop values are stored in the CUE file as opposed to being embedded in the PCM files, and the loop value is based on sectors and frames rather than samples.

I've been sent an emulator that works, but it's not available to the public just yet. It'll be a mini version of MAME with only an MD/Genesis core, a debugger and the ability to use the MegaSD functionality.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 16 Oct 2019 - 21:37

Relikk wrote:It's pretty much exactly the same, without having to convert the WAV files to PCM. The loop values are stored in the CUE file as opposed to being embedded in the PCM files, and the loop value is based on sectors and frames rather than samples.

I've been sent an emulator that works, but it's not available to the public just yet. It'll be a mini version of MAME with only an MD/Genesis core, a debugger and the ability to use the MegaSD functionality.

Sweet, That's great to know. I was wondering that for a while, but I wanted to wait if there were more patches out before I asked. Ooh I cannot wait tell the emulator comes out. It sounds great. MAME like, like a branch off of lib retro or a stand alone like MAME program itself?

Have you tried the debugger at all, is it better then the one you posted before?
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 17:13

Standalone MAME.

You'd have to ask Pev about the debugger. Wink
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by pev Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 17:48

@polargames The debugger is a good start, no complaints, so far. At least now, any MD+ patch code can now be tested and debugged.

@Brutapode89 I do hope MD+ picks up steam, much like MSU-1. At the moment, there are not that many developers making these patches. To the best of my knowledge, only neodev and infinest made patches for the games posted here so far. I hope your request will made in the near future. As for me, I am starting from square one learning Genesis hacking, much like I did with MSU-1 back in late 2017. It will be while before you will see anything from my end.

Hopefully, if all goes well, we may "officialy" start hosting any MD+ patches here that come out in the wild. In order to keep things centralized.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 23:32

Relikk wrote:Standalone MAME.

You'd have to ask Pev about the debugger. Wink

Cool, Thank you very much for the information Relikk Smile
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 23:36

pepillopev wrote:@polargames The debugger is a good start, no complaints, so far. At least now, any MD+ patch code can now be tested and debugged.
Sweet, I am happy to hear that. I hope this is the start to get more emulators to support this. It would be a nice add on to the mega drive emulators and all of the Sega fans can have the best of both worlds :-D
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Fri 18 Oct 2019 - 0:07

@polargames Give it time, I am sure Kyland KFDM will be bugging everyone to get this up and running on those mini classic consoles. Oh, we cannot forget our RetroPie enthusiasts too. Everyone needs a piece of the pie. Smile

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Fri 18 Oct 2019 - 1:53

[quote="pepillopev"]@polargames Give it time, I am sure Kyland KFDM will be bugging everyone to get this up and running on those mini classic consoles. Oh, we cannot forget our RetroPie enthusiasts too. Everyone needs a piece of the pie. Smile[/

Very true, I am waiting to see how the mini sega will be like program wise to the other systems and how the adding of games will be also. The code must be harder to crack then nintendo because I have not heard anything on it.

LOL, Nice Pun, Smile, I' am waiting on the retropie part too. Smile
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Fri 18 Oct 2019 - 7:23

@ToAll Moved this topic over here where it belongs. Smile

Thanks Conn for creating this section. Seph and Qwerty, I extend my thanks and gratitude to you both as well.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Floki Sat 19 Oct 2019 - 12:28

You're welcome pev!

Floki

MSU1 for..... the megadrive ! The Mega SD - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Mon 21 Oct 2019 - 23:10

Brutapode89 wrote:Hey guys. We could believe to a MSU-1 for PC Engine, why not.

Example: If we would like hear Neutopia & Neutopia II in CD audio.

I'm imagining that in my head but I don't know if I'm right.

I do not think there is a msu1 for PC Engine at all, or at leased talked about. I could be wrong, but I do not think its exists.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 22 Oct 2019 - 3:37

Brutapode89 wrote:Hey guys. We could believe to a MSU-1 for PC Engine, why not.

Example: If we would like hear Neutopia & Neutopia II in CD audio.

I'm imagining that in my head but I don't know if I'm right.

It's probably possible, but nothing supports it. MSU1-like functions have to be programmed into something that can utilise it, like the SD2SNES flash cart (or BSNES, SNES9x etc.), or in the case of MD+, the MegaSD flash cart. So, with the PC Engine, the Super SD System 3 add-on would have to have the capability to perform similar functions to those other flash carts, but currently it does not and there has never been a hint that it might in the future.

The only thing that has been hinted at, again for the MegaSD, is doing MS+ for Master System games in the same way MD+ does for Mega Drive/Genesis games. Not something I'm particularly excited about, but no doubt some people would be.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next