MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro?

Go down

MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro? Empty MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro?

Post by pocket Wed 3 Aug 2022 - 19:35

Hello. I've been enjoying MSU-1 hacks on my FXPak Pro lately, but any game with FMV scenes yield a buggy mess of colors and corrupted graphics with the bottom half being a black rectangle. The audio is fine and the game looks and plays when the video ends or if I skip it.
I didn't want to make a topic about this but all my searching on the internet seemed to imply that the videos should work on FxPak Pro, but I couldn't find anyone having the same issue.
At first I thought I was using an underpowered SD card but have since upgraded to a class 10 and it didn't fix anything.
Have I been mislead here?

I should add the only games with FMV I've tried is Starfox and Zelda, and both of their FMVs work fine when I use BSnes before putting them on my sd card.
pocket
pocket
Bee
Bee

Since : 2022-07-26

Back to top Go down

MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro? Empty Re: MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro?

Post by Polargames Wed 3 Aug 2022 - 21:46

Hello Pocket, I am Polar. Have you by any chance updated the firmware of your FXPAK Pro at all? It sounds to me that, from what you have described it could be a issue with the flash cart. Is your flash cart very new, or have you had this cart for a while?

On a very small chance, it could also be a sign that something in your actual cart could be starting to fail on you. Again it's not a very high chance of that, but it can happen. If it's infact to do with a cart component, there is nothing a person can do because there are no repair parts or shops to fix said cart. I do hope this did help you out. I wish you the best on it. 🙂
Polargames
Polargames

MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro? Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pocket Wed 3 Aug 2022 - 22:14

Polargames wrote:Hello Pocket, I am Polar. Have you by any chance updated the firmware of your FXPAK Pro at all? It sounds to me that, from what you have described it could be a issue with the flash cart. Is your flash cart very new, or have you had this cart for a while?

On a very small chance, it could also be a sign that something in your actual cart could be starting to fail on you. Again it's not a very high chance of that, but it can happen. If it's infact to do with a cart component, there is nothing a person can do because there are no repair parts or shops to fix said cart. I do hope this did help you out. I wish you the best on it. 🙂

It's a brand new cart that I bought a few weeks ago from stone age gamer, a restock after they were sold out no less, and it's using the latest firmware so that it plays Super Gameboy Games. Everything works as intended flawlessly, it's literally only the extra videos in msu-1 hacks that don't work, and even then, I can still hear the audio of the video, the game looks and sounds normal ( by which I mean it still has the MSU-1 audio tracks ) once the video finishes or is skipped.

Like it's not the end of the world if videos won't work on my FX Pak, I didn't even know MSU-1 worked on a real SNES when I ordered this thing, but it would be nice to have the videos working too.
pocket
pocket
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 3 Aug 2022 - 23:55

pocket wrote:
Polargames wrote:Hello Pocket, I am Polar. Have you by any chance updated the firmware of your FXPAK Pro at all? It sounds to me that, from what you have described it could be a issue with the flash cart. Is your flash cart very new, or have you had this cart for a while?

It's a brand new cart that I bought a few weeks ago from stone age gamer, a restock after they were sold out no less, and it's using the latest firmware so that it plays Super Gameboy Games. Everything works as intended flawlessly, it's literally only the extra videos in msu-1 hacks that don't work, and even then, I can still hear the audio of the video, the game looks and sounds normal ( by which I mean it still has the MSU-1 audio tracks ) once the video finishes or is skipped.

Like it's not the end of the world if videos won't work on my FX Pak, I didn't even know MSU-1 worked on a real SNES when I ordered this thing, but it would be nice to have the videos working too.

Thank you so much for your detail response. That's helps out a lot. Based off of said information, I suspect that it could be a 50/50 split. Could be a mixture of msu1 patch conflict, or it could also be a unknown error in the firmware. While I would like to apologize for your inconvenience, I cannot answer your question with a definite answer. But I could do this, I will pass this issue onto the ASM hackers on here to double check on the code. Would that be a satisfactory solution to your issue?
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by pocket Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 0:06

Wasn't expecting such a formal response, haha. By all means, please pass this along. I do wonder if anyone else with a more recent fxpak pro and firmware could confirm if video works for them or not. A person elsewhere told me video worked on their flashcart but didn't offer any more information.
pocket
pocket
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 0:11

pocket wrote:Wasn't expecting such a formal response, haha.  By all means, please pass this along.  I do wonder if anyone else with a more recent fxpak pro and firmware could confirm if video works for them or not.  A person elsewhere told me video worked on their flashcart but didn't offer any more information.

Awesome thanks 😊👍.

You know, you brought up a great point. Is your snes or sfc modded at all? If it's not, that might be the issue.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by pocket Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 0:23

Nope, not modded at all. It's been in my Grandmother's game room since the early 90's mostly to give visiting grandchildren something to do, and I have recently inherited it, I doubt anyone's made any modifications to it.
pocket
pocket
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 0:32

pocket wrote:Nope, not modded at all. It's been in my Grandmother's game room since the early 90's mostly to give visiting grandchildren something to do, and I have recently inherited it, I doubt anyone's made any modifications to it.

It's a long shot, but a lot of users that use the FXpro do have theirs modded, mostly for way better video output (RGB out put) and better video syncing for games and flat screen tv use. It could be that your hardware being not modded cannot handle the FMV for those games. Again it's a long shot but that could be the cause. I would at least look into the rgb mods for it. Now I am 100% out of solutions for your problem. Lol Thank you for jogging my memory and the new information. 😃👍
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by pocket Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 0:58

I think I would rather just go without the video than mod it for flatscreens. Playing the real deal on a CRT is most of the appeal for me, otherwise i'd just be using retroarch on my PC. I do hope video can work on an unmodded SNES but if it doesn't, I guess that's that. I'm happy with just the CD quality audio.
pocket
pocket
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 1:25

In my estimation the RGB mods would not be necessary to have video output via MSU1.
I'm not expert on MSU1 video, but it is my understanding that the video file is in two parts. 
one part is PCM audio, which sounds like  you have working. 
the other part is the encoded video, contained in the .msu file.

If the MSU file is incorrect the video will not play (but it will still have audio). If it somehow corrupted in the transfer, it would likely play improperly. Not sure what to do in this specific instance as I don't have a real SNES (anymore) and so I do not have a flash cart to test things on.
Cubear
Cubear

MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro? Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by pocket Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 4:26

Oh my god I feel like such a dummy now.  I somehow thought all the msu1 files were the same.  I originally used the Zelda redux hack and when I heard the video wasn't supported, I switched to regular ALTTP DX, but I kept the same MSU1 file.  
I just changed out msu1 files for the one that came in the file with the video and It's working now.
No such luck for Star fox though but at least I know it's not a problem with my SD card or my SNES.

Thank you both for the help.
pocket
pocket
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 4:48

No such luck for Star fox though but at least I know it's not a problem with my SD card or my SNES.

You are the first person reporting these problems, so it should be related to your setup/sd card or whatever. We can only help if it is a global problem (all users are affected) from the coding side.

If other people here cannot help you with advice (settings/different sd-card), or report issues with the latest firmware, I'd recommend trying to ask Ikari who developed fxpak. His discord is ikari_01#8445
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro? Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 4 Aug 2022 - 18:04

Reading your messages again and think twice about it, I used the code by ikari to have the video in my patches... Which is the same for Zelda, star fox, another world, and also in pevs wolfchild. So if Zelda works, the others should work, too. I'd recommend trying to use a fresh setup with the game specific msu files for star fox. You could give the other patches that support FMV a shot as well:

https://www.zeldix.net/t1739-out-of-this-world-another-world

https://www.zeldix.net/t1537-wolfchild
Conn
Conn

MSU-1 Video on FxPak Pro? Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down