Jackal (via Project Nested)

Go down

Jackal (via Project Nested) Empty Jackal (via Project Nested)

Post by pev Tue 26 Sep 2023 - 17:45

Ok, here we go. I performed a full playthrough and everything seemed fine (both Mesen 2.0.0 standalone and current Retroarch Snes9x core). I have not tried MiSTer or SD2SNES.

I placed two Project Nested profiles. One is a regular patch. Second one has partial invincibility cheat. The track map has changed. Please see the text file inside the archive for details.

Patch Beta 4:
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rllegb9gvcnsoz4/Jackal_PNN.zip/file

All the tracks are set to loop except ... (update: Sep-27-23)

Title Screen (no loop)
Stage Clear (no loop)
Game Over (no loop)

If anyone does not agree with this loop setup; please let me know and I can adjust it as needed. Track map has changed and located inside this zip archive.

Last edited by pev on Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 18:12; edited 1 time in total

pev

Jackal (via Project Nested) Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Jackal (via Project Nested) Empty Re: Jackal (via Project Nested)

Post by Arasoi Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 6:52

I have a pcm pack built/ready from the beta 3 specifications ready to test. I'll try to record a playthrough in a bit.
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 10:32

I completed the pcm pack with only the specified pcm tracks having a loop point set (and the non looped tracks having a 1 second gap at the end), and recorded a playthrough on MiSTer FPGA. Not in the video is the game over/continue theme which is looping still when it shouldn't, but that can be fixed in a patch update.

Rock - Hingle McCringleberry AST (by Arasoi)
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/EWVnkQBY#9kBoTiK-UsdzB1GeSfRoyDFgJOVgEsyDckCbSGxMjyo

Last edited by Arasoi on Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 15:36; edited 2 times in total
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 11:41

Arasoi wrote:Not in the video is the game over/continue theme which is looping still when it shouldn't, but that can be fixed in a patch update.
The patch already has Game Over set to not loop. So, the problem that is plaguing Snes9x is also affecting MiSTer too as well, eh? I will test with bsnes to see if the bug is showing up there too.

The code is correct. I added code to see what the track and loop status is in RAM to debug. This code is already present on the same patch you are using.

RED Box=Remap Track, GREEN Box=1(noLoop)/3(Loop), YELLOW Box=NSF Track
Jackal (via Project Nested) Ram10

As stated before, the Mesen emulator is respecting the loop/no-loop code. Right, it seems Snes9x and MiSTer core is not.

Only other suggestion is to have Game Over loop into the silence area until it is determined what is going on with Snes9x and MiSTer core.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 12:09

Easy fix, since it's just the one track doing it I can add a silent loop point in and everything should be good to go. I'll reupload the pack later with the fix.
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 15:37

Re-added the link to the previous post with the silence looped game over track. That should take care of everything.
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 15:55

Arasoi wrote:Re-added the link to the previous post with the silence looped game over track. That should take care of everything.
Great to hear. If you feel everything is good. Feel free to move it to the MSU-1 area. Also, I am still looking into why the loop/no-loop register is not working on Snes9x/MiSTer. It is a very odd issue.

Thanks again for you PCM packs. You take care.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 18:16

@Arasoi All right, after having a discussion with Cubear; it was discovered, that my pause/resume routine was wreaking havoc on register $2007 (loop/no-loop register). My routine was within a NMI, thus causing this register to be written into repeatedly (not good). Wow, I need to get some serious sleep. This insomnia crap is no joke. Making too many stupid mistakes. This out of the way, beta 4 should be the last patch for Jackal. I did a brief test in Jackal Snes9x and it no longer looped. It is working as intended. Expecting the same results on MiSTer and BSnes Plus.

Arasoi, I am glad at least you got two games off your list. Now, I am going back into my long eternal slumber. 5+ patches among NEA and MSU-1 is too much for me, lol.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Arasoi Thu 28 Sep 2023 - 20:25

pev wrote:@Arasoi All right, after having a discussion with Cubear; it was discovered, that my pause/resume routine was wreaking havoc on register $2007 (loop/no-loop register). My routine was within a NMI, thus causing this register to be written into repeatedly (not good). Wow, I need to get some serious sleep. This insomnia crap is no joke. Making too many stupid mistakes. This out of the way, beta 4 should be the last patch for Jackal. I did a brief test in Jackal Snes9x and it no longer looped. It is working as intended. Expecting the same results on MiSTer and BSnes Plus.

Arasoi, I am glad at least you got two games off your list. Now, I am going back into my long eternal slumber. 5+ patches among NEA and MSU-1 is too much for me, lol.

Thank you for the fix, get some well deserved rest. I have a few pcm packs to make for existing hacks in the meantime..
Arasoi
Arasoi
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 1:46

Ok, this topic will be closed and moved to the Finished section.

pev

Back to top Go down