Street Fighter 2 MSU1

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Street Fighter 2 MSU1 - Page 4 Empty Re: Street Fighter 2 MSU1

Post by Relikk Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 13:15

Curious, it's not muted for me. Seems a bit weird that someone would patch that sound given there's no other higher quality version of it, and I was always under the impression that if a PCM wasn't present it'd play the original sound, which my SNES does and the emulator I used to test it does, too.

I've no problem doing what you ask but, can you just confirm for me with whatever method you use to play MSU1 games that the logo sound is muted without that particular PCM?
Relikk
Relikk

Street Fighter 2 MSU1 - Page 4 Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 14:34

You're right and all is good Very Happy added your pcm set also to the first post of https://www.zeldix.net/t1455-street-fighter-2-the-new-challengers-msu-hack#21309

What I have forgotten is that I coded a spc fallback for this game. Usually it is a trade-off between spc-fallback and avoid sd2snes flickering (by setting a msu-busy flag). I decide usually for sd2snes when needing to make that choice.

In sf2 all themes are loaded in black screen, so no flickering is to expect in sd2snes, so I coded the spc-fallback instead - therefore you do not need theme 17.
However, if people use an old emulator that do not have the fallback (bsnes v70 for example), they will have mute. But most use v.73+ I think anyways, which has that fallback.

Conn
Conn

Street Fighter 2 MSU1 - Page 4 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 14:40

Great!

I have a question while you're here... Is there any way to program MSU hacks to fade the audio, rather than having it come to an abrupt stop?
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by kurrono Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 14:42

Use Audacity...wavepad tool too
kurrono
kurrono

Street Fighter 2 MSU1 - Page 4 Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 14:45

yes, there is, but a bit complex. I did it recently for my AST SPC replacement hack, and explained it in the super ghouls n' ghost hack for ArcadeTV:

If there is fading in a looping spc, it is a bit more complex to re-create (e.g., Zelda) if you leave a house, checking the map... there is no fading command
I recently hacked AST spc replacement where I needed this. I usually hack a nmi hook to check the msu busy flag (important for sd2snes as it would flicker otherwise). My solution:
So I implemented another free ram where I stored the #$FF I also place on $2006 (full volume). The nmi routine is called in ntsc 60 times a second, pal 50 times per second, so if the nmi busy flag is set I can use this hook to decrement the free ram and store it to $2006 afterwards to decrement the volume. So if you decrement one time each nmi you have FF/60=2seconds to fade to mute, with a double dec 1 second and so on.

Here's the coding example of AST:
lda #$FF   ; volume
sta $2006
sta $012b ; free ram to fade (volume flag

fade command f1:
f1:
lda $012b ; load free ram volume level
dec
dec
dec         ; 4 decrements (will lead to a fade of 0.25 seconds, found this the best adjustment
cmp #$10 ; check if it 10 or below (to break the routine, so that you won't accidentally get into minus (FF again, with all the decs)
bcs $05
lda #$00 ; if below 10:
sta $0129 ; clear msu busy flag to not get into the routine again
sta $2006 ; mute msu completely
sta $012b ; ; clear volume flag
bra end

The fade up is the same, just with incs.

For sf2, I was too lazy to code that, blame me Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 14:49

Conn wrote:yes, there is, but a bit complex. I did it recently for my AST SPC replacement hack, and explained it in the super ghouls n' ghost hack for ArcadeTV

Cool. I think the SF2 hacks could benefit from the audio fading out when a KO happens rather than having it just stop abruptly. If you ever get a chance to revisit any older hacks, that is. Admittedly, I haven't a clue.

Anyway, thanks!
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 14:59

It's not hard, you only need to capture that code in the asm:

Code:
CMP #$F6    ; end of battle
bne $06
stz $2007
stz $1D75
implement to free ram addresses instead, one for fade busy where you store a flag (01), and a volume control where you store the volume (FF start).
Then you hook the nmi routine and decrement the volume. At the end you clear the fade busy flag.

~Maybe I do that when I feel bored, right now I love the feelings having no project anymore on the run (obligation free that is Razz).
If I do it, I'd also like to have a feedback regarding the music flow during the battle, there's been some complains that the music stops after each round (resembling the native style), and people rather want to have it going through until the complete fight it over (2-0 or 3-1 rounds).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 15:14

Conn wrote:If I do it, I'd also like to have a feedback regarding the music flow during the battle, there's been some complains that the music stops after each round (resembling the native style), and people rather want to have it going through until the complete fight it over (2-0 or 3-1 rounds).

Actually, that's a good point.

In Super SF2 the music should continue between rounds, that's something that could be fixed as you say. In standard SF2 the music stops between rounds so, it's fine as it is now.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 15:34

Probably I handle both the same way, by fading the music down to 30% at the end of each round and fading it up again when the new round starts or something like this. Guess that is the best compromise and makes all happy Wink

But it will not happen today, maybe later this week.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 2 Nov 2017 - 15:03

Alright I am done. It was much harder than expected and I spent at least 6 hours with bug-fixing.

Find the new patches at
TNC:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1455-street-fighter-2-the-new-challengers-msu-hack
Turbo:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1456-street-fighter-2-turbo-msu-hack#21310
(Redownload v2 patch in first post).

Direct link:
TNC: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/ssf2_tnc.zip
Turbo: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/sf2_turbo.zip

NOTE: the new patches are for non-headered roms, there were complains...

You now have a fluid music fading system - the music won't stop between fights anymore, but continues on a lower level.

Since this was highly problematic to hack, and might be bug affective, I keep the old patch, as long this is in beta.
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/sf2_turbo_old.zip
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/ssf2_tnc_old.zip
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 2 Nov 2017 - 17:49

very small bug found, please redownload.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Thu 2 Nov 2017 - 18:02

Ah, damn. Not quite what I was looking for but, good work.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 2 Nov 2017 - 18:15

Lol. I gave up on the wish making everybody happy, this isn't possible, so I'm rather trying making me content  Razz

Strange is that in my ssf2 Rom, the music stops during round transitions as well just like in turbo, though I saw YouTube videos, where the music keeps playing.

Anyways my solution is imo best, since especially in pcm, which duration is longer in general than in spc, the fluid gameplay is now not interrupted anymore, and still keeps the original feelings through fading to a lower volume. I think capcom should have done it this way.
But this is me. For others, (1) eat or die, (2) adjust the code to own wishes, (3) use the old patch
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 7:06

I think with these instructions, you can adjust the game fading to your needs:

SF2 Turbo:
Code:

Instructions:
1, open your patched rom in a hex editor
2, press STRG+G
3, type in the address in hex, e.g., 0x270316 for theme restart (instead 02/70316)
4, you should see then e.g., d0 0f there, change it to 80 07
5, safe the rom

---------------------------------------

theme restarts playing each round:
02/70316: f0 35 -> ea ea
02/703c0: ea ea ea -> 9c b7 1c
02/703d9: d0 0f -> 80 07

fade to zero each round transition instead fading to half:
02/70463: 40 -> 00
02/70469: 40 -> 05
02/70473: 40 -> 00

keep full volume each round transition instead fading to half:
02/70463: 40 -> ff
02/70469: 40 -> fb
02/70473: 40 -> ff

SSF2:
Code:

Instructions:
2, press STRG+G
3, type in the address in hex, e.g., 0x3fece5 for theme restart (instead 03/fece5)
5, safe the rom

03/fece5: D0 0f -> 80 07

03/fed73: 40 -> 00
03/fed79: 40 -> 05
03/fed83: 40 -> 00

03/fed73: 40 -> ff
03/fed79: 40 -> fb
03/fed83: 40 -> ff

Last edited by Conn on Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 13:32; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 9:56

Code:
02/703ca: D0 0f -> 80 07

02/70454: 40 -> 00
02/7045a: 40 -> 05
02/70464: 40 -> 00

It's almost perfect, and more arcade like using these two options but, upon starting the next round after the fade out, the original SPC soundtrack kicks in. There's a bit of a graphics glitch on the title screen demo the first time around, too.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 13:33

ok, re-download the turbo patch,
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/sf2_turbo.zip
then apply on a fresh rom and try this:

Instructions:
2, press STRG+G
3, type in the address in hex, e.g., 0x270316 for theme restart (instead 02/70316)
5, safe the rom

02/70316: f0 35 -> ea ea
02/703c0: ea ea ea -> 9c b7 1c
02/703d9: d0 0f -> 80 07

02/70463: 40 -> 00
02/70469: 40 -> 05
02/70473: 40 -> 00

02/70463: 40 -> ff
02/70469: 40 -> fb
02/70473: 40 -> ff
Super Street Fighter2 works with the old adjustments?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 13:36

Super is perfect now with the...

Code:
03/fed73: 40 -> ff
03/fed79: 40 -> fb
03/fed83: 40 -> ff

I'll try the Turbo codes in a little while and get back to you.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 15:47

Tried it... Love it. It's pretty much perfect now.

You're a star, Conn. Well done. Very Happy
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 16:12

Nice Very Happy
I removed the link to the v1 patch in the database (but keep the files on the server in case more bugs are detected), since the people are now able to simply edit their "desired version"; and a fade feature is always better than a cut.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Drakon Fri 2 Feb 2018 - 23:00

RedScorpion wrote:The problem is you show your work, but it was only : in german we said: "Ein Tropfen auf den heißen Stein" or "like a drop in the bucket".

This was the reason why the most people said you fake your msu games with ost or some other tools. Some people wrote me a pm and ask for help.

I dont understand, why you dont release your asm hack for the msu and let the people work with the game.

I understand your oppinion because the most people want and want a lot of help without any reward. I release up to 10 gametranslations in german and other people make money with it on ebay and so on.

On snesfreaks.com the user dreimer wrote a thread about your terranigma and report some details of your "contract" and what you want for your work...

thanks

red

Hi sorry for the delayed reply I don't spend much time on these sorts of places.

I don't release my work for free because it took a lot of effort and not only did I get nothing for it, I had a lot of people I had previously helped for free launching smear campaigns lying about the sort of person I am. Like you, I saw other people making money off of my work on ebay, so I decided to stop releasing my work for free.

My terranigma? I didn't work on that game, did this person say anything bad about me?

I personally am against people taking privately sent messages or information contained in those messages and posting them on public forums, especially without the other party's permission. That sort of behaviour seems to be highly accepted in these communities. Thanks to that sort of behaviour I've stopped replying to people's requests privately as well.

The fact is, spending my time in other ventures I make much more money doing much less work.

qwertymodo wrote:I can totally understand having people expect free work from you and always wanting more (just look how Conn's "retirement" is going...), but actually releasing your work would have allowed other people to make their own hacks by examining a working example.  Just look how everything took off after aLttP.  And yes, people do still ask a lot of us to do free work, but saying no is always an option there.  We do it because we enjoy it, not to show off our toys on YouTube that nobody else gets to play with.

Right, and if people I had helped for free hadn't tried to take advantage of my generosity and launched smear campaigns lying about the sort of person I am then I would definitely still be releasing my work for free.

lttp would have never happened if I didn't post my videos and inspire people to recreate my work. Before I posted videos someone else had previously posted a lttp msu1 hack. Since he only posted the one video, nothing was recreated. I therefore made a bunch of msu1 hacks, posted the videos, and then finally the work was recreated and I'm very glad that it was.

The problem with these communities is that people use their imaginations to come up with the motives behind requests and they imagine the most greedy horrible motive they can think of. I personally like the idea of all popular rom hackers and people who create popular rom hacking tools receiving money for their great work, not just myself. This would attract a lot more talent and therefore a lot more great work would be accomplished. When I had enough spare money I personally donated to these sorts of people. So yes, I literally put my money where my mouth is.

My goal was either to get someone else to recreate my work or get more money introduced into this type of work.

If this community disagrees with me that's fine, all I ask is that people politely respect my opinions, the same way that I politely respect opinions that differ from my own. Unfortunately, people in these communities don't politely respect people who have different opinions and ideas.

Conn wrote:

On snesfreaks.com the user dreimer wrote a thread about your terranigma and report some details of your "contract" and what you want for your work

Whoops, sorry if I spoiled big business Woot!!

You didn't spoil anything. I usually request an amount I know people won't pay because I'd prefer someone else to take over. Even you are using your imagination to come up with the wrong motives.

Drakon
Newcomer

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 20:07

I see your point, but really, the kind of infamy you brought to yourself haven't helped your case.

It's very sad that people have reached to you just to abuse your efforts, but we don't live in a fairy tail, assholes always gonna exist.

And the best way to fight those who act in bad faith is through knowledge. Common sense says our community (the one who shares things with each other) got this far because we are good people, we don't tolerate bad practices and as soon as we get to know there are bad guys taking advantage of our good nature, we kick them off quickly and try to wise people up to keep out of making business with shitty entities, where their services are the result of shameless behavior.

You could have spotted them to us, and a mass boycott could have taken place. But instead, you isolated yourself and took a highly controversial approach...

By law, nothing prohibits you from making profit out of your work, but given the free nature the emulation/hacking scene developed by itself (dating way back to the 90's), you just can't wreak havoc going against our costumes and traditions, not like if it was normal. Specially when you work relies on free ones made available to you.

You just became the same sort of person that once screwed you. By a matter of respect, you should have choosen a better way to advertise your work rather than going public on youtube. Point is, you poorly advertised your work to the wrong customers, backlashing from the community was eminent.

While paying for hardware modding is acceptable among game enthusiasts, this is way different for rom hacks, take fan translations and how they were born: It was the common desire to make available to everyone the chance of playing games to its full extent which literally established how the community keeps going nowadays.

Making yourself of victim also doesn't mitigate the bad impression people have from you. Just because some punks fooled you and now you are butthurt, does it mean the whole world has to suffer for that? Life is unfair, but c'mon, you should be better than this, pretty sure it hasn't helped us to think better of you.

Besides, this crap talk about inspiring is a complete misbelief. People recreated your work as retaliation to your general dickishness, is this really a reputation any decent human being would wish for? Those efforts certainly made us stronger, but it was you who paid the biggest price.

Look, you are right at one thing: There might be a market for rom hacking. Maybe if hackers hadn't too much worries about what they are going to eat the next day, we would have much more quality projects to enjoy.

But you can't ignore the free nature from where the emulation roots come, it's not a matter of "no pay, no goods", it's more like "hey, sorry for the lack of activity guys, I'm just too busy looking for food in the streets, so I haven't been able to put more time into this".

Money isn't (or shouldn't be) the ultimate goal, for any business at all (even though it's not like how it works today...), but the true motivation should be to deliver a quality service/product to your customer, which in turn gives you monetary compensation as gratitude to keep your doors open. Having money into it isn't different from investing at leisure or any other sort of entertainment, so I give you that.

My advice is for you to take a long sit, and think deeply about how you've been conducting the situation to your side, and take into consideration our position on the subject, and to stop acting like a big corporation with selfish interests.

It's nice of you to donate to your pals though, but too bad your actions haven't made clear your true intentions lately.
Colines
Colines

Street Fighter 2 MSU1 - Page 4 Image111

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 3 Feb 2018 - 21:32

I regard hacking as a hobby, it's like solving sudoku or playing chess against the computer (where lost is when it crashes, and win when it works), whith the only difference that I don't discard a filled out sudoku sheet, but am also able to make other people happy with my riddle-solvings.
However I got on my limits lately, have much real life obligations, so I reject any further project but am still available as helping hand if needed, and if I have the time. My retiremnet plans are set eventually Very Happy
My to-do list is done anyways with almost all best-sellers and sequels are msu-ed by the community and me (I see no obligation to msu every shitty snes game out there Very Happy )

That in general, in particular, I can retrace your aim to make profit out of your hacks, that is really fine for me. We live in a world where money is essential to live and without money you die, that's the simple truth. You want to sell your own work, which is honest in contrast to people selling our work, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V48Bdyg3L4

What you might have done wrong, you should have released at least one of your codes (I'd still be keen to see one, to analyse your coding style, like fading in SF2), so people don't think you're a liar and used video manipulating software to produce your youtube teasers. Then your demand was too high (read something about $4000 which is just crazy) and your "contract", like not publish your hack and use it for personal use only.

See, I published... no idea... 20-30 msu hacks. If I made a call here, and say: guys, I have nothing to eat, have to pay bills and whatever (shortly before living on the street), and make a crowd-funding and release a hack each $200, I think I'd have earned a good amount of money already. People would understand and spend money without encounter me with a shitstorm as you experienced.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 14:32

Under US copyright law, ROM hacking is illegal copyright infringement, as it is considered creation of a derivative work under the DMCA. (See 10:30 in the video for the discussion specifically of ROM patches).  It only continues to exist because it is largely ignored (and also because many ROM hackers live outside the US where laws are different).  Trying to make a profit off of it is exactly the kind of thing which brings extra scrutiny onto the hobby that we DON'T want, because that's when the C&D's start flying.  That or when your hack happens to coincide with a product they actually want to release (RIP, AM2R).  So, sorry, but the idea that you were doing the community a favor by flaunting your work in forums completely built upon community collaboration, but refusing to be a part of that collaboration, and then trying to monetize your work because you think the entire hobby should be monetized when that would be absolutely disastrous to the entire scene, all only goes to show how completely out of touch you still are with the communities you're still trying to defend yourself in.  Feel free to keep on doing your thing, but spare us the "I was trying to do the community a favor" spiel.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GDubs Tue 3 Apr 2018 - 5:47

Hey guys,

Found a version of this MSU1 HDRemix hack where t hawk's stage had cammy's music, dee jay's stage had t hawk's music and cammy's stage has dee jay's music. To solve this:

-Renamed pcm 33 to 32
-Renamed pcm 31 to 33
-Renamed pcm 32 to 31

Thank you all for creating some awesome MSU1 titles as of late!

GDubs
Newcomer

Since : 2017-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 3 Apr 2018 - 7:02

Guess this affects TNC. I notified PittStone.
Thanks for reporting Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next