Super Mario RPG

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Super Mario RPG - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Mario RPG

Post by Conn Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 8:12

I think I was able to fix it (v5 in first post).
I see no problem with that unlockable track (from debugging it should be $35). It tries to play as soon as you enter the composer screen but is covered by $11 then. I guess when you unlocked it the covering simply isn't triggered.
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 14:36

Conn, you nailed it, every music upload sequence is correct and even tested it with PCM in. I have a good feeling that I will finish the rom now without problems. fingers crossed.

Thank you so much for doing this.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 17:13

Nice Very Happy I too cross fingers. It's a bit sad that I am unable to mimick all fades (e.g., if you talk to King Tadpole the music fades down and up in spc, but not msu), but as said, this is out of reach - there are at least 10 nmi hooks, and even if I covered them all, there are multiple fade commands. I couldn't crack them.

So for now this is the best I could do for this game. Let me know when you are done with mapping, so I fill the loop table and upload the finished patch. PCM set and release is then up to you Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 4:23

Ok i basically finished. There is a few tracks i have marked no but haven't actually doubled checked if it actually looped or not, im going to do one finally check on that either thursday or friday night, will let you know when i do that. Also i need to put in your second tadpole song track, just remembered that, i will do that by friday too.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 4:37

So track $34, the short 20 second song after completing all tadpole pond jump sequences that can only be completed by returning to tadpole pond near the end of the game, part of it the player inserts what music notes will be played, almost like scarecrow song in Ocarina of Time, so the game loads the $34 but never actually plays the pcm and plays the default track that includes the players inserted music notes with it, but i think it should be this way since the player creates part of the song. Basically $34, that i highlighted in red on the spreadsheet, should play the default track and not a pcm (which the current v5 does right now.)

This youtube link will show you track $34.

https://youtu.be/zXwyI5GJTDg

If you wanted to take a look at track $34 yourself, i can upload a save state tomorrow night that is saved right before it plays. Because the current version doesnt play track $34 pcm, i would guess no actions need to be made though i dont know exactly how finishing the rom hack part is like so i thought i would just mention this for your awareness.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 6:17

I see, that's funny!
Yeah, leave track 34 as spc fallback then Smile

I tested:
$46: not looping
$47: not looping
$48: not looping
$49: not looping
(so all correct filled out)

I will adjust the loop table today evening and post v6 as "final" then Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 11:41

I am already done with the final code:
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/smrpg_msu.zip
(set loop values correctly)
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 12:13

Excellent, thank you Conn. I got some exams in school coming up so making PCMs will be slow going but i will get it done sometime in October or November. There is no way i wont finish over thanksgiving break
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 13:57

I'm happy that my part on this project seems to be over. I'd suggest to not hesitate to ask for help! Here are highly professional pcm artist which are more or less jobless in the meanwhile Wink ...and 70 tracks are quite a lot for one person. Shared work is also more fun. Only thing to pay attention is to have an equal sound volume level.
Other than that no rush, I also wonder if earthbound ever gets.finished Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 17:19

70 tracks are a lot but i actually really wanted to do this one myself, i really enjoyed doing the donkeykong country 2 soundtrack that i did and i really enjoyed the freedom of creating it the way i imagined the track should be.

Like for example, the opening stage to donkey kong country 2 has 5 different mp3 files converted into one and then i made it into a pcm because i had one mp3 file be the orchestrated version of the song and 4 files of waves, high winds, boat creaking, and seagulls all cutting in and out at different volume levels to capture that opening pirate ship level feel. Ive also done two different pcm sets now so i got some experience in volume level.

So if someone asks if i would like some help i would say, thank you very much for the offer but i have been dying to make this MSU-1 for a long time now and i am up for the full challenge.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 20 Sep 2018 - 17:51

I see and admire your enthusiasm Smile much fun and luck on this!
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 22 Sep 2018 - 2:04

@conn

Hey I got 15 PCM files done today, its a great start. I found two bugs though that I didnt catch until I tested out the hack with some PCM in, which all have to do with battles.

Bug#1 - When you finish a battle and leave the battle sequence to go back to the level the music that is uploaded is both the MSU-1 track and the original track. Both of these are playing at the same time. This bug happens when you finish the tutorial fight, random encounter monster, or boss fight. Any kind of fight will cause 2 tracks to play when you finish the fight.

Bug#2 - When you die in battle the dying/fainting sounds don't play out when PCM files are playing.

Here is a link to check these out.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWTpAJswiyLf1F9S85iVassXbb1i0atI?usp=sharing

So I have all my PCM uploaded if you wanted to check any out (Mushroom Kingdom Town soundtrack sounds awesome) but this is the PCMs you need to test out the bug. PCM-6, PCM-9 ,PCM-13 , srm file, and save state #1 file.

PCM-6 is battle theme, PCM-9 is victory theme, PCM-13 is normally the first level in the game (where I have my save state in) but I replaced the track with one of Chrono Trigger MSU because this makes it a little more obvious that 2 different tracks are uploading at the same time when you complete a battle. If you upload the srm file choose the third save file. If you load the save state #1 then you will be in battle with both you and your enemy at 1 life. This will make it so it is easy to win a battle and test bug #1 and also to defend and lose a battle to test bug #2.

Thank you Conn.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 22 Sep 2018 - 7:21

I think I was able to fix bug #1.

bug #2:
You see, this is not a track but a spc distortion, and thus track specific. The only thing I was able to do is to let a global dying jingle play (track $81, pcm -129, noloop).
So everytime you die now this track is played. Take a neutral dying sound (e.g. from super mario world when you die or whatever).

(v7):
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 22 Sep 2018 - 9:43

Ok thank you Conn
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 22 Sep 2018 - 17:53

Lol* I think you get an idea why msu rpg:s are so hard and we usually reject them: multiple times playing is necessary, many tracks, many exception to tinker on which causes endless retesting Smile
Luckily (for me) you took the hard job Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 22 Sep 2018 - 19:08

It is by far the longest i mapped too, yeah, RPGs are a much bigger project and i am very grateful. I played a lot of areas of the game already with pcm in so i think we should be good to finish this time, fingers crossed. I think the PCMs are turning out great too, my wife is very impressed with a few like the mushroom kingdom track.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by fredistehboss Wed 26 Sep 2018 - 20:45

Hi there! I just kinda stumped across this while browsing for MSU-1 patches/roms. Is this a work-in-progress to... add CD quality music or...? I apologize I'm not familiar with some of the terminology you guys were using, totally just wondering because I love this game. Very Happy Piece of Heart

TLDR: What are you working on here?
fredistehboss
fredistehboss
Newcomer

Since : 2018-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 27 Sep 2018 - 5:51

Yepp, adding msu to a game means replacing the 16 bit spc music with CD-quality, which usually consists of two steps:
- adding a code that mutes the spc leaving sfx (sound effects) intact and enables msu replacement
- creating the CD-quality music (pcm, almost identical to wav with the diffference that they can loop)

the code seems to be finished and works, Jud6ment is currently working on the pcm:s, so it is work in progress until this part is done.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 27 Sep 2018 - 9:00

The project is almost finished, my goal is to release it some time during the second or third week of October. I am just finishing making music tracks with loop points at the moment. I have 34 out of 73 done right now, its a large sound track.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 27 Sep 2018 - 9:27

Have you played some MSU-1 games yet? We have a good selection here at zeldix
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 18:04

Just a progress report, i am at 39 out of 73 PCM files, so i am past the half way mark. Just taking my time to make sure i find the absolute best song to each track and have the appropriate volume adjustment. This project will surely be done the third week of October, that's my goal.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 22:23

@Conn
So I made a mistake on one of the loops, song value $17, which is the first part receiving a star piece, is a looped track. I learned each star piece is a different length cut scene so the first track is a loop which is cut off by the second part of the track, value $18, that is not looped to end the track.
Sorry for the mistake.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 1 Oct 2018 - 6:38

no worries, I set $17 to loop:

v8: $17 is set to loop

$18 is still non-loop
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by emuandco Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 6:32

JUD6MENT wrote:70 tracks are a lot but i actually really wanted to do this one myself, i really enjoyed doing the donkeykong country 2 soundtrack that i did and i really enjoyed the freedom of creating it the way i imagined the track should be.

Like for example, the opening stage to donkey kong country 2 has 5 different mp3 files converted into one and then i made it into a pcm because i had one mp3 file be the orchestrated version of the song and 4 files of waves, high winds, boat creaking, and seagulls all cutting in and out at different volume levels to capture that opening pirate ship level feel. Ive also done two different pcm sets now so i got some experience in volume level.

Crazy, I did not even realize that you made another MSU-1 pack for DKC2, just listened through it. Great one indeed really great work. ^^ Luckily you kept all of my selections where I would not prefer anything else in there and thus I just replaced my own pack with yours and I love it Very Happy One or two files I would still prefer mine, but these are more or less minor. (Mining melancholy and Outro with the high/low/high/low intrument for example) Some I am uber happy that you replaced em, too. (Cranky's theme for example which sucked like most ocremix ones do for MSU)

Where did you find track 26 and 29 and MANY MORE? Wonderful ones  Razz (Conn)

Regarding the topic. Looking forward to your Mario RPG MSU-1 pack, even though it might never work on real hw it's still a major step to include this game to the reign of MSU modded games
emuandco
emuandco

Super Mario RPG - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2014-10-20

http://www.dreimer.de

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 9:09

Im glad you didnt mind me using a few of your pcm in my pack, i did a deep youtube search and gathered every track i liked and found that i had already picked out a few of the same ones and figured there was no point finding the same loop point again. And thank you, this game has been far the funnest to do because almost every track had different background sounds in the original soundtrack and they were very fun to recreate.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next