Super Mario RPG Empty Super Mario RPG

Post by Conn Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 7:14

Project finished:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1811-super-mario-rpg-legend-of-the-seven-stars-msu-1

Here's the asm for Super Mario RPG.
features
- spc fallback
- fade up/down

The track list at the end of the asm isn't finished (all tracks are set to loop). They need to be adjusted correctly. Therefore I did not insert an ips

To apply the asm simply rename your "Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (U) [!].smc" (no header!) into "smrpg_msu1.smc" and run insertintro.bat (open the bat in a text editor to see what it does, it's self explaining).
I do not know if there exists a v.1.1 - if there is let me know. Porting the code should be easy

breakpoint 2004 write hook to map the themes in bsnes

Theme map:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17-IMkFa0NY70BYSj--_K44XbGgigZ67uOY20Stdch7w/edit?usp=sharing

v2: fixed after fight resume
v3: fixed some other stuff
v4: tadpole fixed
v5: tadpole fixed second
v6: set loop value
v7: prevent double spc/msu play, dying jingle
v8: $17 is set to loop
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/smrpg_msu.zip

Last edited by Conn on Fri 12 Oct 2018 - 4:44; edited 10 times in total
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Super Mario RPG Empty Re: Super Mario RPG

Post by Conn Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 10:18

I played a bit and noticed that the music won't restart after the fight at a later point (after defeating the Gumba (or what they are called).

I fixed it in v2, please redownload from first post (also added an ips now).
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 13:10

Thanks conn
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 15:14

Lol, so conn, I actually did get the xkas to work yesterday. I dont know why but it was my bsnes++ debugger that was not working. after you sent me the ips and I couldnt get it to work I tried opening my old EVO and OotW projects and the debugger didnt work on that either. But re-downloading bsnes++ is making everything work fine now. So I am ready to go now.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 16:14

Lol, I know that witchcraft is involved sometimes when dealing with emus Smile
Is there a v1.1 of smrpg btw? Or is there just a 1.0 (j and us)?

Maybe it would be a good idea if you'd setup a theme map doc like pev did in the past.
For the code I needed to blindly anticipate track calls (I've forgotten some, therefore I needed to make v2). But since they are "guessed" I hope there are no issues.
If all goes well at the end of the asm, the non-loop tracks must be set to 01 for the final version. If you can't do that, I'll do it once the themes are mapped.

Much luck and fun with it Spin
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 16:20

only one version luckfully, that always make things easier.

I am going to do a detailed mapping like I did before, I am going to get a gog doc ready later tonight
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 17:35

JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 19:48

Nice Smile
While playing I suggest to make multiple savestates... if you encounter a bug, I'd need one, because I simply have no time to play a RPG from start ^^

Oh and one very practical breakpoint:
$C4/0706 85 04       STA $04    [$00:1D04]   A:000A
(c40706 with X hook)
You can write in A: every track you want to hear, here it is 0A for the intro)

Super Mario RPG Image218
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Fri 14 Sep 2018 - 2:34

Ok, found a bug. When entering the very first town the music quickly fades out in less than a second and remains silent in the town. After talking to Mallow and hearing the new party jingle, the track for the first town starts playing again until you enter into a building, then remains silent. When you return to this town later on and villains have over ran it, there is a new song that plays in this town called "here some weapons" and this song doesn't play at all, not even a fade out. After fighting one of the bad guy encounters in the town, the music will play normal until you enter a building where it will quickly fade out. Battle music plays normal in this town.

Here is the link to the save files.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWTpAJswiyLf1F9S85iVassXbb1i0atI?usp=sharing

The .srm file will show you what you need to see with the 3rd save slot and 4th save slot for when you return to the town with villains. Save State #1 will be at overworld map before entering town. Save State #2 is before talking to Mallow and seeing how that plays out as I described earlier. Save State #5 will have before entering town with villains.

The track for this town is "02" and the track for the villains in town is "0F"

Thanks for your help
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Fri 14 Sep 2018 - 4:24

Ok I found a Second bug, after beating the sewer boss and starting the waterfall scene the music doesn't play here. The track number is "16" Here is the link, it is the same one as before but I added Save State #9 to be when I defeated the boss of the sewer and he opens the flood gates on me to start the waterfall.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWTpAJswiyLf1F9S85iVassXbb1i0atI?usp=sharing
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 14 Sep 2018 - 6:12

Alrighty... check v3 from first post Smile
savestate 1,2,5 only affected spc fallback not the msu (fixed anyways)
I tried to mimick the track delay of theme $16 (it doesn't play immediately when it's stored to $2004 but later when talking to Toad).

Oh and track 08 is looping - I noticed you had a ? in the doc (I checked with above technique having this theme in the menu and fast forwarded).
I hope that after the star the normal pcm is resuming, could you check (or provide a savestate)?
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 15 Sep 2018 - 0:28

Oh that is good way to check if a track is looping, thank you. and yes the pcm resumes after power star. Also I got to Geno finally, not that its important to mention, but seriously he is freaking awesome. Better be in smash bro this time.
Thank you for fixing those bugs
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 2:55

@Conn
Ok I found another bug. When fighting the cake at Booster's wedding, the game freezes after the cake boss takes some hits and the boss says Poke Poke Poke. Here is the link.

the .srm file is saved before boss fight, save state #1 is before starting boss fight, and save state #2 is right before needing one more attack in order to have the glitch happen.

Also, I used some cheats to max out my attack stats. Don't know if doing high amounts of damage is causing the glitch or not but I don't think so, but bosses go through stages after taking a certain amount of damage so maybe.

Thank You Conn
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 3:36

@Conn
Ok update, maxing out my character stats I think was the problem, im looking more into at the moment
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 4:06

@Conn
Ok, I am like 99.9% sure the glitch is the one I made. So the Cake fight starts off with 2 chefs and 1 cake boss. if you attack the chefs, they take damage but not enough to kill them. then they become immune for the rest of that battle so that they can have dialogue, such as one "Poke Poke Poke" to the other to tell him I think there is something wrong with the cake. By maxing out my character attack stat with cheats I was able to deal more damage than the developers thought I would be able to and I actually killed the chefs in one hit with mallow thunderbolt attack. by reversing the stats on my character to normal, I had a completely normal battle and completed it. You can still check it out if you would like to, but I think this one was just me. lol.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 5:30

You can verify by using the unpatched native smrpg rom and have all cheats on if the bug occurs there as well (just copy/rename the srm/bst).

You are pretty advanced already in the game, so bugs become less likely Smile

BTW, you can also map all remaining themes using the breakpoint technique described above - then you'd only need to check if all are played correctly in the game. It is possible that some music only plays at certain location which you might miss through normal gameplay. If some remain unmapped at the end of your play, this is the technique to use to map all in any case (01,05,22... e.g). If you apply this technique in the menu (1d, where it isn't autoadvanced like in the intro (0a), you can also check for looping).

There are also strange sound commands, like 00, 01 fading down fast/slow, 7f fading up. When using the waterfall savestate, I noticed theme 16 was loaded but immediately stopped with sound command 08. When you talk to Toad some seconds later, it starts with command 38 first.

If you have some more of such commands not correctly mimicked by msu, let me know (with savestate) so I can implement them Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 13:34

Could you expand on what you mean in the last 2 paragraphs? When i go to tadpole pond, i get the break for track 11 but i don't actually have the song play until i talk to grandpa frog guy. Unless i am mistaken, are you explaining i need to note when a track doesn't immediately start playing until something triggers it like talking to toad at the waterfall?
Unlike the waterfall scene though, everything did play correctly instead of requiring you to do a fix, the loaded track at tadpole pond song was just mute until i talked to the grandpa frog.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 14:28

There's maybe a miscommunication, here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZT39S1x49E

Track 16 gets loaded immediately (breakpoint 2004) at video time 00:00 or something. But right after it is loaded, it gets a mute commmand (with 08 - this command is not a track, just an intern command). I mimicked this in v3 by also muting track 16.

Then at videotime 0:23 it finally gets the play command (38) and it plays - when you talk to Toad. I also mimicked this in v3, so that track 16 first starts here.

If other occasions are fixed by it as well, nice Very Happy

Unlike the waterfall scene though, everything did play correctly
Is the waterfall fixed with v3 or still buggy?
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 14:33

So i checked the glitch with a normal rom and it had the same results at the cake scene, i screwed it up by having attacks stronger than normal means through the game. So we are good on that one.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 18:40

So I kinda get what you are saying but still a little confused. but I think you might want to take a look at tadpole pond when you get the chance. save state 4 is before entering and number 3 is before going to the music note jump section. When I plug in a PCM, it doesn't play correctly, its not silent when it is suppose to be silent but works fine when it uploads the original soundtrack. I dont know if it suppose to do that or not or if the problem is just simply the rom hack isnt ready to play PCMs.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 19:50

ok, the following: when I load savestate 3 (spc), and go right, I hear the cricket sound only and when I go left again, I hear the cricket sound plus some happy melody.
This cannot get mimicked by msu, because both play track 11.

When I make the tadpole jumping both the spc and msu stops and restarts correctly for me (msu is not fading here, but so what).
I could not test what happens when doing the correct combination however (since I do not know it).

My suggestion is to leave the track 11 as spc fallback maybe. Since the happy melody cannot be mimicked anyways, this may also fix this tadpole bug... but as said, I could not reproduce... maybe you can give a more precise description what I need to do.
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 16 Sep 2018 - 21:21

So if i am understanding right, the original music can upload track $11 as either the cricket sound only or cricket sound with the actual song playing, but if i do a msu of this track with a PCM, i have no way of doing both? If this is the case, it may be best to not have a PCM of tadpole pond since the cutscenes and the east area both switch up how track $11 is played.

Doing the actually jump of the tadpoles is actually playing correct, i was referencing the area, as that is the area of having the cricket noice only but still uploading track 11.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 17 Sep 2018 - 8:08

Ok, try the v4 in first post.
$11 (pcm 17) is the normal cricket noise only theme
$80 (pcm 128) is now mapped to play the "happy melody" instead of cricket noise

There are major problems with the fading stuff, I do not think I am able to msu it. If you e.g., talk to King tadpole, the spc is sometimes fading to zero and then fading up again. This is almost impossible to mimick to msu, since there are multiple nmi hooks and fading commands.
Means the msu will just keep playing instead of fading low and up again like the spc.
Conn
Conn

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Mon 17 Sep 2018 - 9:45

I think this is great, i will give it a try. Thank you Conn.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 3:57

Ok, so i tested tadpole pond and it is mostly right. I think it is awesome by the way that you were able to get the tracks to separate. So walking into tadpole pond, talking to grandpa frog, and walking to the area that is the screen right is correct. However, with PCM files in, after jumping across the music notes it grows quite (which it is correct to go silent here a moment), then the tadpoles play the notes, then the music starts back up. Right here the music starts back up as the track with the happy medley, when it is suppose to be the cricket chirping again. The right area of tadpole pond never play the full happy medley at any point. Also this track that is this youtube link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbj1bBnyoY&index=49&list=PLSHMcAUZYM-747dALKoLQgcwc_H-mzU9b

This is an unlockable track at the tadpole music note jumping area that can only be unlocked after returning near the end of the game and by doing a series of different note jumps. I dont know if it would be in your interest to wait until I get to that point to do a fix or not because it is another track at tadpole pond I haven't tested yet and maybe it could be nice to see how this track interacts as well before changing something. Its just a thought. sorry this area is so much trouble and your work is greatly appreciated.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Super Mario RPG Image212

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next