The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 Empty The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets

Current Version (0.55):
Code:
https://halext.org/files/oos/oos55.ips

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Secrets is a spiritual successor to the Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons for the Nintendo GameBoy. It's a complete overhaul of a Link to the Past replacing all the dungeons and overworld as well as a brand new story. The game features several new items and mechanics with contributions from Conn, Euclid, SePH and more.

Screenshots:
4b0371e589.pnga985146387.png
08304f00fd.png4446164936.png

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6rldhDz4s - Goldstar Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYlb3lAWeS4 - Hurricane Spin and Nimbus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2p4jXoucc - Fairy Flippers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DmO8B-r5IA - Fairy Flippers 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btl_KwI6V9E - Progress and Intermission

Last edited by Floki on Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 5:52; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated for 2020 to look more official)
scawful
scawful

The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets :: Comments

Post Mon 15 Apr 2019 - 2:16 by P-Tux7

Would you like me to try and convert this guy from Seiken Densetsu 3 into new Aghanim sprites for Farore's apprentice?
https://imgur.com/a/Sqij8TQ

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Thu 18 Apr 2019 - 19:40 by scawful

YES

i like that a lot actually. you'd be making my day if you did that.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 20 Apr 2019 - 17:40 by P-Tux7

moegami wrote:YES

i like that a lot actually. you'd be making my day if you did that.
Sure. Here is the original sprite sheet, if you have a more optimal palette in mind:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/secretofmana2seikendensetsu3/sheet/25787

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Mon 29 Apr 2019 - 13:26 by scawful

i think that palette can work for now. once the sprite is properly imported with the colors lined up we can change the palette whenever

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 15:43 by Phihn

Is this hack still alive? I’m quite anxious to play it

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Fri 1 May 2020 - 11:52 by scawful

I'm still working on it yes. I was putting updates for the hack on puzzledude's discord server for a bit, however it was deleted. I will post some of those updates here soon. I have just been busy with college and finding motivation to work on the hack in my free time versus just playing video games or programming.

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Tue 5 May 2020 - 23:59 by scawful

i posted it on my development blog for the hack but i figured i'd let you guys know so you can keep your eyes on the blog in the future. my semester ends next week so i'll have more time to work on the game. i did some little overworld updates today.
The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 5eb231e42a204oos-may2020-edits

overworld updates - oracle of secrets blog

i also did some tinkering with the hyrule magic source code but until the feature i'm working on is finished i'll keep that to myself.

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 10:50 by scawful

I've started doing a rolling release of the beta versions of Oracle of Secrets.

You can check out my oracle of secrets progress page to find a link to the bps patch for the current beta version.

This is only if you are interested in bug testing and giving feedback on the hack and not if you're expecting the final release. Much of the dialogue and story elements is subject to change right now so nothing in this should be considered final but I wanted to start making the development of the hack more transparent. I'd just ask anyone participating in the rolling release to not do any content with the hack yet like sharing on social media or streaming until we are farther along in development.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 22:19 by TylerDurden

When I try to apply the patch it gives the following message: This patch is not intended for this rom.
However I was able to apply milk utopia to the same rom. Am I missing something here?

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 22:25 by scawful

The rom I used to create the patch was labeled "Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (U) [!]" so if you could let me know what your rom was labeled I could potentially remake the patch or you could find the rom I used.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 0:15 by TylerDurden

My rom have the same label as yours, Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (U) [!] also it is headerless.

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 1:22 by scawful

Ahh I think that was the issue. I uploaded a new patch to the halext page meant for headerless roms. Redownload to try that out and see if it works.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 9:30 by TylerDurden

It did work now. Thank you so much!

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 7 Oct 2020 - 13:20 by mold0rm

It's been 5 years. Is there a download link yet...?

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 30 Dec 2020 - 15:09 by darknior

Hi
I'ave search every where but i can't found your last beta to try it Sad
Only the one here that works but give me a crappy titlescreen with bugs.
I use the same ROM than you
I've found the bug report page but i can't do it without rom

https://halext.org/zelda.php

Please can you help me Smile
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 30 Dec 2020 - 16:01 by Puzzledude

darknior wrote:Hi
I'ave search every where but i can't found your last beta to try it Sad
Only the one here that works but give me a crappy titlescreen with bugs.
I use the same ROM than you
I've found the bug report page but i can't do it without rom

https://halext.org/zelda.php

Please can you help me Smile
Thanks
Well you will not see the title screen correctly on any version. That's because it is actually done correctly within Hyrule Magic, but moegami did not realize, that in snes9x and thus also on real hardware and thus actually so: all the elements of title screen just don't work for some reason, specially if you add new elements. Only originally used elements work - similar problem with Parallel Worlds title screen.

Also, as far as I know, this is the latest version (it is attached in the first post of this thread):
http://halext.org/uploads/5f470e8ccc2eaoos54_rolling.bps

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Wed 30 Dec 2020 - 17:28 by Conn

This isn't much dramatic:
The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 Image313

The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 Image247

It simply looks like the map is corrupted, the easiest way is to simply fix it by hand (not all tiles are misplaced). If all fails one could try with gif2snesopt to make an own own map/tileset but this is far more difficult.

@Scawful, if you send me the unbugged bg I might give it a try to restore.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Fri 1 Jan 2021 - 7:05 by Puzzledude

Well, obiously it can be fixed. I do this by filling only the elements, which are known to work and simply remove the others. It is some work, but can be done with Hyrule Magic also.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 2 Jan 2021 - 16:37 by SePH

There is only one corrupted line of tiles that you must not use, all others are fine. Once you find the corrupt tile, you move it aside (without using it) and can create new ones without any glitches.

The problem with most new titlescreens is that people create new tiles on top of the existing ones, when they could in fact use the ones already existing and change their properties with the keyboard shortcuts.

You have also to keep in mind that there is a tiles limit and Hyrule Magic won't tell you this, you'll instead get tiling errors when you boot up your hack in an emulator!

First off, to modify existing lines of tiles, select either BG1 or BG2 then make sure ''Move'' is selected.

Click with the left mouse button on the line of tiles you want to modify and the commands are as follow:

'' , '' and '' . '' = Reduce or Add new tiles to the current line

'' - '' = Changes the current line of tiles to either ''Fill'' or ''Single Tiles''

- If you choose ''Fill'', all the tiles in the current line of tiles will all repeat themselves.
- If you choose ''Single Tiles'', you can draw different tiles on the current line.

'' m '' = Changes the line of tiles to either ''Vertical'' or ''Horizontal'' positions.

To delete lines completely, click the '' , '' key until it removes it and it disapears.

Beware, that Hyrule Magic crashes if you delete one line (in particular) completely and I haven't documented which one, so give it a try next time you make a new titlescreen! Delete all lines completely until you find the corrupt line of tiles and move it aside in the dark tiles area at the right of the titlescreen.

To draw tiles on existing lines of tiles, well that's the easy step, select either BG1 or BG2, then use ''Draw'', then an existing line of tiles and draw away!

To create new tiles, select either BG1 or BG2, make sure that ''Move'' is selected and click the right mouse button once. You'll notice a new tile has appearred. From now on you can modify it's properties with the above commands without any issues (provided you didn't used too much tiles already).

Another pro-tip I can provide is that since the tiles are so small when editing a titlescreen, use the Windows Magnifying Glass and set it to a proper zoom value, so you can actually see what you're doing without headaches!

If you want to see two concreate exemples of titlescreens done right, check out either Gerudo Exile or A Link to the Proto. I made sure the titlescreens in these games wouldn't give out any errors by following the above guidelines.

Just open these hacks in Hyrule Magic, go to the titlescreen editor and click on all the tiles, you'll notice quickly they were all remade without issues. I wish I knew all this back when I did Parallel Worlds titlescreen, it would have been a lot less of headaches!

This as been a SePH tutorial on how to avoid bugs with titlescreens editing! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Sun 3 Jan 2021 - 19:11 by scawful

I'll be addressing the title screen problem next. I think I want to change it one last time. This current title screen is from undertale and I'm not really sure why I went with it hahahaha. Redoing it will give me a chance to be more meticulous about the titles that I use and making sure it works in all emulators. Thank you SePH for the tips!

I'll work on that bug report page as well, I've just been very busy lately.

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 4 Jan 2021 - 6:22 by SePH

You'll manage! Anyhow, if anything occurs during the fixing process, let me know and I'll gladly assist you!

Thank you scawful!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 4 Jan 2021 - 11:31 by Wolfcat

You guys are great. I've been able to play most alttp hacks that have messed up naming menus, but it's can be a little tiny bit tricky getting to the end of the naming part of the screen and the name is never right, LOL. Nice work on the title screen. Wink

Last edited by Wolfcat on Wed 6 Jan 2021 - 3:48; edited 16 times in total

Back to top Go down

scawful

Post Tue 5 Jan 2021 - 1:19 by scawful

The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 Oos55010

This is what I ended up coming up with, and this screenshot is in snes9x so I know there's no glitched tiles anymore!

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 5 Jan 2021 - 4:23 by Conn

Looks awesome, much better than the old one even if that was unglitched Wink
Any plans for a final release date yet?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Tue 5 Jan 2021 - 4:36 by Puzzledude

scawful wrote:The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Secrets - Page 5 Oos55010

This is what I ended up coming up with, and this screenshot is in snes9x so I know there's no glitched tiles anymore!
Looks great. Also, if it is in snes9x, than you know that this is how it actually is, even real hardware would give you this result, as you see it in this emu. ZSNES on the other hand might actually correct any problematic tiles, it also corrects the odd file size - which would lead to bugged display of the naming screen. But these corrections are ZSNES emu based and are not the actual state of the rom.

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next