Post by Conn Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 11:14

Conn
Conn

Project-Nested - Page 5 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Project-Nested - Page 5 Empty Re: Project-Nested

Post by Erockbrox Tue 7 Sep 2021 - 21:09

Okay, so how do I use this NES emulator on my SD2SNES?
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Project-Nested - Page 5 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by VVV18 Tue 7 Sep 2021 - 23:49

Erockbrox wrote:Okay, so how do I use this NES emulator on my SD2SNES?

From what I understand and know so far, you can't use it directly on SD2SNES, it just converts a rom (.nes) to a rom (.sfc) see the following links:

https://www.zeldix.net/t2363-mega-man-4-nes-project-nested-beta

https://www.zeldix.net/f60-zelda-nes-via-project-nested-nes

VVV18
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

Since : 2019-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 8 Sep 2021 - 8:49

As vvv18 pointed out it is not really an emulator but a converter. You need to convert the NES ROMs to SNES format using pnn. On GitHub of myself086 you find a list of compatible NES games and what you need to adjust in on to make them run:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xKZIyNz1DSI3ZBdMfaTEaa_9b6IEABx-ZPwOb6XqcLQ/edit#gid=0
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Fri 10 Sep 2021 - 3:06

Conn wrote:As vvv18 pointed out it is not really an emulator but a converter.
It's both. It's similar to PocketNES and PocketSNES where the emulator runs on GBA but you require a Windows exe to combine the 2 files together.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2021-07-29

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Conn Thu 23 Sep 2021 - 14:10

Yes, the apu has very small glitches, you e.g. notice too when hit by a monster in Zelda 1, you normally hear also a small sfx in NES, but not project nested.
We can hope this gets fixed one day, this complete project is really amazing, but still in its child boots. We got to be patient Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Erockbrox Wed 1 Dec 2021 - 12:36

I have a NES rom (my own homebrew game) and the mapper is MMC1 its 256 kb.

I tried using the Nested program, but didn't get the game running. I opened the program and converted the game. It then expanded my rom to 1,024kb but the file type extension was strange.

My rom was game.nes but after converting it was game.nes.smc so I think that is too many extensions. I tried renaming it so just .smc but either way the rom just gave a black screen with some slight flicker when booting the rom on my SD2SNES cart.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Does Nested support MMC1?
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Project-Nested - Page 5 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Mon 6 Dec 2021 - 16:09

Erockbrox wrote:I have a NES rom (my own homebrew game) and the mapper is MMC1 its 256 kb.

I tried using the Nested program, but didn't get the game running. I opened the program and converted the game. It then expanded my rom to 1,024kb but the file type extension was strange.

My rom was game.nes but after converting it was game.nes.smc so I think that is too many extensions. I tried renaming it so just .smc but either way the rom just gave a black screen with some slight flicker when booting the rom on my SD2SNES cart.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Does Nested support MMC1?
The double extension is intentional and only the letters after the last dot count as actual extension. It's meant to symbolize that the NES ROM is contained within the SNES ROM rather than being converted.

MMC1 is supported since v1.0.

Do you have a link to the ROM?
I can take a look into it and tell you which part of your code causes this issue.

Project Nested is an emulator with a lot of cut corners in order to save as many CPU cycles as possible to maintain a decent performance on the SNES' 65816 CPU.

Some of the main things to know about compatibility issues:
- Direct page indexed by X such as LDA dp,X does not wrap.
- Stack does not wrap.
- Stack needs more space than on NES.
- Stack data may be inconsistent compared to NES.
- Indirect load/store with a base address misaligned to the page will not cross bank boundary. Example: $BFFF+1.
- There's no timing emulation but sprite zero and MMC3's IRQ work.
- Reading $2002 twice within the same loop will softlock the game. This register will only change based on how it is being read.
- Reading $2002 for sprite overflow always returns false.
- JSR followed by data or branch always taken may sometimes require "native return address" to be disabled in the settings under stack emulation. May also cause memory leaks and excessive recompilation times (SMB3).
- Each JSR must point to a unique bank because the linker assumes that their destination remains static. This one will be fixed for v1.5 with performance loss.
- RTS into a different bank than we came from will only work by disabling "native return address" under stack emulation settings.
- Accessing I/O ports via LDA (dp,X) does not work but LDA (dp),Y does. May be fixed for v1.5.
- Writing to MMC1's ports will return incorrect flags on the CPU's P register.

Some useful information:
- Waiting for NMI or IRQ with a simple LDA to RAM + branch (not $2002) will recompile into a custom wait loop for partial frame drop. For example, instead of dropping directly from 60 to 30, the frame rate can be anywhere between 60 and 30. It also allows showing CPU usage. Multiple variations of wait loops are detectable.
- Reading $4016 and/or $4017 more than 8 times will give you access to the extra 4 buttons on the SNES controller.
- Crossing from page 7 to 8 will give you access to page 8. LDA $07FF,X with X greater than 0 will work. However, LDA $0800,X will read page 0 instead. Setting an indirect pointer for page 8 and 9 will work fine. Both pages 8 and 9 will remain free in future versions.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 10 Dec 2021 - 16:44

How are things standing with AoL, any chance I can msu it, soon? Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Fri 10 Dec 2021 - 23:27

If we do get AoL in MSU-1, count me in for being part of that project. In a week i am on christmas break and i absolutely love this game and want to make a PCM set and do a playthrough.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sat 11 Dec 2021 - 8:19

I haven't looked into AoL yet but I'm doing it today. I already found why the game was stuck on loading screen. I had 2 if statements backward because the first one used TSB.

I'm almost done with AOT optimizations. At least the basics of it.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by aihooo444 Tue 17 May 2022 - 12:56

Has anyone got this to work with a mister fpga yet everytime i try to play a game it says no sram found

aihooo444
Newcomer

Since : 2022-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Thu 19 May 2022 - 14:36

aihooo444 wrote:Has anyone got this to work with a mister fpga yet everytime i try to play a game it says no sram found
There's an option to change how much SRAM should be available. Mouse over it for details. Some emulators and devices react poorly when SRAM size is too high.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 19 May 2022 - 15:35

aihooo444 wrote:Has anyone got this to work with a mister fpga yet everytime i try to play a game it says no sram found

I don't think Mister snes core supports nested games at all. I was just told recently by Relikk that MSU-1 support has been added.
Polargames
Polargames

Project-Nested - Page 5 Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Thu 19 May 2022 - 16:46

Polargames wrote:

I don't think Mister snes core supports nested games at all. I was just told recently by Relikk that MSU-1 support has been added.
Nested doesn't use MSU1. It's just 8MB ROM + *256KB SRAM + battery. No use of extra processing power. MSU1 was used to enhance audio for some games.

*Up to 256KB SRAM but 16KB+ is recommended.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitrinx Thu 19 May 2022 - 19:08

Myself086 wrote:
Polargames wrote:

Nested doesn't use MSU1. It's just 8MB ROM + *256KB SRAM + battery. No use of extra processing power. MSU1 was used to enhance audio for some games.

*Up to 256KB SRAM but 16KB+ is recommended.

MiSTer SNES core supports up to 128kb SRAM (2^7)KB. Anything greater than that will fail. It covers all real carts made. If you constrain to that it should work.

Kitrinx
Newcomer

Since : 2022-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitrinx Thu 19 May 2022 - 19:41

I tested using the zelda II msu adaptation. The header was attempting to request 256kb ram so I changed it from 8 to 7 and it works fine, although I expect it to crash at some point when it attempts to use the upper 128kb of memory that isn't there. I'm not sure how one would appropriately constraint the memory in this scenario, but it will work if you do.

Kitrinx
Newcomer

Since : 2022-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Mon 23 May 2022 - 16:19

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 26 May 2022 - 3:09

Wow, great! Does it work with Zelda1 and Zelda2 like the WIP version? If yes, I am gonna update the post to use the official 1.5 instead your pre-release Very Happy

https://www.zeldix.net/t2408-zelda-ii-the-adventure-of-link
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 26 May 2022 - 16:41

🙂
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 14 Jun 2022 - 16:24

I have made a msu1 like sticker for Project Nested. It's of course on stand by untill the main project is fully off the ground and if msuing NES games get more demand behind them. 🙂
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by nico7550 Sun 30 Apr 2023 - 4:12

Hi I know roms sharing is forbidden but Project Nested Profiles are not, can you share yours?

nico7550
Witch
Witch

Since : 2022-01-04

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5